Recommended Brands for Quality Lathe Files?

Erik, lathe files, AKA long angle files are handy. Lathe files are all single cut AFAIK. You are going to find that a long file (12-14") is unwieldly, at least for me. If the file is too long I tend to get my body (and clothing) too close to the chuck and work and that is not good. I prefer a 10" long fine cut lathe file. Although I own Nicholsons, I would suggest this one by Pferd. You asked which file to use to take off that last thou? This one will do it because it cuts light and even if you do your part.

Erik, lathe files, AKA long angle files are handy. Lathe files are all single cut AFAIK. You are going to find that a long file (12-14") is unwieldly, at least for me. If the file is too long I tend to get my body (and clothing) too close to the chuck and work and that is not good. I prefer a 10" long fine cut lathe file. Although I own Nicholsons, I would suggest this one by Pferd. You asked which file to use to take off that last thou? This one will do it because it cuts light and even if you do your part.

I purchased from that link. That is an insane deal on a Pferd 17005!

Heck, I've got a whole case of em! :big grin: Although I'll probably won't even get through a 1/4 of that case in my lifetime.

20210116_225911.jpg

I agree with Mike, 12" & 14" are way too long for my liking. The long angle lathe file I use in 10" but I pferd/use mostly 8" & some 6".

20200611_191253.jpg

Experts do tell - is not the angle of the single cut on files to use with lathes different to that for a regular file?

Experts do tell - is not the angle of the single cut on files to use with lathes different to that for a regular file?

Long angle files are typically cut to 45 degrees vs the usual 65 degrees found on regular files. This angle allows the file to cut well when stroked perpendicular to the work piece.

The last couple of Nicholson files, that I bought and were made in Mexico, made the HF ones look like premier files, they were such total junk, that after about 5 minutes of hand filing, they were as smooth as a baby a$$.

The only file I use at the lathe is a Nicholson lon angle lathe file. I have no idea if it is any good for other filing tasks but it is great at the lathe. I probably have 4 or 5 brand new wrapped in paper. They were purchased before Nicholson sourced from off-shore.

Back