Recommended Brands for Quality Lathe Files?

erikmannie

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I think that I’m done with the files that they sell at Horrible Freight. I have worn out ALL of my files.

I file finishes on 1018, 1045, 4140 (chromoly) steel on my lathe workpieces. I rarely do machine work with materials other than steel, BUT I do a fair amount of brazing, & I file down the excess brass there.

I may segregate the files that I use for brass.

Any recommendations for quality files? I am going to buy a 14” bastard, a 12” semi-smooth (second cut), & a medium or large round bastard file.

Last edited:
I do not like the way lathe files perform, I much rather like a flat bastard cut file for lathe work, either 10 or 12"

I have never tried a lathe file that I aware of. I have bought flat, round, half-round & triangular.

Last edited:
Last edited:
!4 " would be unwieldly on a lathe the size of yours and also mine. A necessary accessory to the file, is a handle, and railroad chalk to apply to the file to prevent "pinning" that is clogging the tooth spaces causing the file to load up and cause scratches to the finish.

!4 " would be unwieldly on a lathe the size of yours and also mine. A necessary accessory to the file, is a handle, and railroad chalk to apply to the file to prevent "pinning" that is clogging the tooth spaces causing the file to load up and cause scratches to the finish.

Good idea on the chalk. I have plenty of handles.

So I am going to start with a 12” flat bastard. Should I get a double cut?

I have only seen Nicholson files that are made in Mexico. Is that okay?

I bought an open box “Nicholson 03764N Flat File American Rectangular 12 inch” for $18.76 delivered.

I will wait to buy the rest in case any more recommendations come in.

BTW I use my file card a lot. It looks to have SS bristles.

I am definitely going to segregate my files. E.g., “steel only”, “bronze only”.

Double cut files are only for rough shaping work at the bench, I hardly ever use them, and then only for the roughest sort of work. About Mexico, I do not know, but they certainly have to be better than Chinese manufacture.

I bought an open box “Nicholson 03764N Flat File American Rectangular 12 inch” for $18.76 delivered.

I will wait to buy the rest in case any more recommendations come in.
How many for the price?

Back