Recommendations for Magnetic Squares

I have a small pair I picked up at a ham fest for $1 each. I use them for holding two parts in approximate position while I tack them. I don't rely on them for precision alignment as welded parts will move when the welds cool anyway. If I need a precise 90º, I check with a square after tacking on both sides. Then, after completed the weld, I will check again and adjust. Another method to help ensure a square assembly is to clamp a diagonal bar to the two parts. Vise Grips work well for this.

One of the first things you learn about welding is that no amount of jigging, clamping a fixturing will ensure that the pieces end up where you want them. You have to learn to anticipate and allow for the shrinkage because you cannot prevent it. "Something moved" is the lament of the inexperienced weldor.
. Another method to help ensure a square assembly is to clamp a diagonal bar to the two parts. Vise Grips work well for this.
This only guarantees that the parts are square before the clamps are released.

One of the first things you learn about welding is that no amount of jigging, clamping a fixturing will ensure that the pieces end up where you want them. You have to learn to anticipate and allow for the shrinkage because you cannot prevent it. "Something moved" is the lament of the inexperienced weldor.

This only guarantees that the parts are square before the clamps are released.
True but the diagonal helps to keep the parts in alignment while the full weld is made. If the weld is symmetrical, the stresses will oppose each other and there is a better chance that the parts will be square. Another trick is to heat the entire weld to a red heat after welding.
This allows the stresses to relieve and the parts usually come out close to square. Not perfect but that is what the big hammer is for. ;)

All this adjusting is why I use 3/8” turnbuckles as diagonals, juts tack weld the ends to whatever you’re building!

Back