Recommendations for Magnetic Squares

erikmannie

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have a coupon code (and so do you, see below). I have no magnetic squares. Any recommendations?

DFD4FD01-702E-4F4C-9DD8-223451A74E21.png

I have used the cheap red ones at schools. They were well used (burnt & had a lot of iron filings sticking to them). My welding fixtures do seem to get torched & well used.

I am wondering if I should pay more for the On/Off magnetic squares. I wonder if they need batteries *or* if they work like a mag base.

I do a lot of .125” thick, 3” X 4” welding coupons. My current project is 1” square tubing. The next project is a very heavy duty 5/8” plate cart.

I don’t anticipate being able to use the same magnetic squares for the sheet coupons as for the 5/8” plate.

Do you think that I could make do with small & large cheap red ones like this?

All candidates (scroll down):

Right now, I am leaning towards getting the really cheap ones because I think they are going to end up seeing rough use:

or

or:

High dollar alternative:

or

Last edited:
What is the argument against buying the cheap, low tech ones?

The switchable ones cost so much more money; I can’t imagine that the extra expense is worth it.

I am no where near being in your league as far as welding capabilities go but I have a few of the inexpensive magnetic squares and they’re not. As in, they’re not square. Sometimes not square on the 90-degree corner and sometimes not square in alignment of the two sides so the thing wants to always kank off at an angle. Annoying.

I am no where near being in your league as far as welding capabilities go but I have a few of the inexpensive magnetic squares and they’re not. As in, they’re not square. Sometimes not square on the 90-degree corner and sometimes not square in alignment of the two sides so the thing wants to always kank off at an angle. Annoying.

and

I bought the cheapest and squared them up on the mill.

I was very inclined to buy the cheap ones, & I am very surprised to hear that they may be out of square!

This is great that I can solve this issue on the milling machine. I would never have thought of doing that.

I will wait 24 hours before I make the purchase in order to see what anyone else might have to say.

One good thing about buying the cheap ones is that I can buy more. I can see myself using four at a time for a frame, or two at a time to tack up a T-joint.

Would there be any hope of being able to keep these free from burns and abuse? I am quite sure that mine will have a rough time, especially with burns.

Cheap ones if you must! Square them up on the mill and compressed air will blow them clean. Who cares if they get burns?

We have a pile of them at work, no one ever uses them! Personally I tack my parts leaning over at 5 or 10 degrees then hold things square with a turnbuckle. Pulling it square lifts the part up on the tack giving a nice gap for penetration!

I bought mine at HF, didn't check to see if they're square. They hold the pieces in place while I get a couple of tacks down, then I get a real square and get serious. While they may be helpful, it's up to you to make sure the joint is square when the last weld cools.

I'm with Mr Whoopee on this. They make good temporary work holders but they probably should not be confused with a square. (At least the cheap ones)

Back