Rechargable Batteries

Jeff May

Registered
Registered
Has anyone ever rebuilt their batteries for the cordless equipment?
I have several 19.2v Craftsman batteries that won't hold a charge anymore.
I recall seeing some info somewhere about doing this, of course, now I can't find it.
Is it worth trying or just bite the bullet and buy new ones?
Thanks,
Jeff in Hagerstown

One can either replace the cells, there are sellers on the net, or send in for a rebuild. Usually one cell has failed just like in your car battery. If you watch the sales, sometimes it is cheaper to buy new kit but you will still be stuck with needing the old ones rebuilt.
Also check warranty as some of the better marks are longer vs the cheaper ones.
One advantage in doing a rebuild, one can get better quality cells or even switch out the NiCads and go to Li ions.
Pierre

I know the guy on ebay, and did two batteries with him. It is written on the batteries themselves, so I'll check tomorrow and post the info.

The batteries were better than new!

Bernie

Keep in mind that, if you change battery types, you have to change chargers. I saw a video once in which they intentionally used the wrong charger on a lithium battery. It soon caught fire. Metal fires are nothing to take lightly.

I use a ton of DeWalt cordless tools, and I get my batteries rebuilt at Interstate. Granted, I get a commercial discount but they are quite a bit cheaper than replacements, and superior cells. I believe instructables had a how-to on doing it yourself. They are sub-C cells I believe in most of the packs.

This add is on Craigslist all of the time. He quoted me $50 for the Battery for a Fluke One Touch

Batteries for cordless power tools - $45 (Green Bay, Wi)
Let the Battery Medic rebuild you NiCad power packs. For about half the cost of a new power pack we can rebuild you dead pack and make it better that the factory pack. For more information email The Battery Medic at info@thebatterymediconline . com or call us at 920-265-1059
Visit our website: www.thebatterymediconline.com

The Ridgid Ni-Cd battery packs I have use an oversize (quick charge) charger & each battery seems to have an electronic circuit inside (observing through the vent grid; have not opened the case).

Is this some sort of smart circuit that does...[what]?
Are all replacement cells alike? Or do I need cells with certain characteristics to mesh with the electronics?

I had a Milwaukee drill that the batteries went bad they wanted $89.00 for a replacement pack I purchased one, then I took my old battery pack over to interstate batteries and ask them if they could rebuild it, they did for I believe it was $39.00 I am pleased with both of them.

Dunc, the wiring you see on the inside of a NiCad pack is for a heat sensor. That is a common way that the chargers use to shut down when the battery is charged. It heats up when full.

When I have priced cells it was the same as having it done or more. So I would have them done. I would also ditch the craftsman/Ryobi drill in favor of a NiCad dewalt. Lots of people make good tools with cords. DeWalt makes cordless tools worth owning. I like Nicads in that I can use them in the cold, The lithiums I use at work aren't worth a s#$% in the cold. At least a 50% decrease in use between charges. I'm sure lithium will get a little better and flat smoke oldschool batteries, but for now A xrp dewalt is primo. I have run one pack year round for 8 years before needing a replacement. If you invest that money in batteries, you still have a Ryobi made craftsman drill. They feel like toys in comparison. Think about a better drill, you don't have to have a 19.2v around the house. A 14.4v good drill can be had fairly cheap with two packs and a charger. It will outperform the bigger sears one anyway. K I'm done. My two cents and all

Back