Rebuilding the head on a mill

I'll try messing with it again to refresh myself with it. IIRC the rod would engage both in and out but the quill did not move.

Some quick trouble shooting procedures to try to isolate the problem:

If you engage the feed lever, the quill should lock, if it doesn't, the problem may be in the slip clutch or the drive key inside the housing.

If you still have the hand wheel, it should run the quill with the feed lever engaged. If it doesn't then something is wrong in that gear train.

With the feed worm engaged, and the spindle running, the for/rev rod should rotate. If it doesn't, there may be something wrong in that area.

The only other place that the problem could be is in the shifter/gears for the feed rate.

Some quick trouble shooting procedures to try to isolate the problem:

If you engage the feed lever, the quill should lock, if it doesn't, the problem may be in the slip clutch or the drive key inside the housing.

If you still have the hand wheel, it should run the quill with the feed lever engaged. If it doesn't then something is wrong in that gear train.

With the feed worm engaged, and the spindle running, the for/rev rod should rotate. If it doesn't, there may be something wrong in that area.

The only other place that the problem could be is in the shifter/gears for the feed rate.

Thanks Jim I will check it out again tomorrow.

Back