Rebuild work ? 2 questions.

AJ

Registered
Registered
Both questions at end of post.........I picked up a Heavy 10L yesterday for what I thought was a good price. I`m new to machining but grew up in my dads machine shop. I thought buying a lathe that needed some work would be a great way to get to know a lathe intimately. She a little worse for wear but there`s life under that skirt. She`s not as bad as I originally thought but I will need the way ground and all that entales, carriage, tail stock, ect. Now to my 2 questions. 1- I can`t seen to find a model # to find out the exact year, where is it located ? 2- I`m looking for someone to do the way grinding, scrapping work. I live in the N.E but have no issues shipping her out. I want someone who is good but reasonable. I did`t say cheap, there is no cheap when it comes to this and if there is I`m sure it`s "you get what you pay for" cheap ! but reasonable/fair I can happily live with. A couple pics of what I`m starting with..I was thinking about shooting a video documentary/YouTube channel of this 40 something year old Newbs "quest for perfection" and "learn as you go" machining "apprenticeship" ? I would present a project to the audience and get feedback BEFORE I start. Kinda have the viewers like you teach me...any thoughts on that ? Would you watch ? Thanks, AJ

Should talk to Richard King.He has forgotten more about this subject than most people know.
Personally I would add up all the costs and compare that to buying a new PM 1236-T @ $3999. If you want a project build your own custom stand for the PM.

Should talk to Richard King.He has forgotten more about this subject than most people know.
Personally I would add up all the costs and compare that to buying a new PM 1236-T @ $3999. If you want a project build your own custom stand for the PM.

I`m surprised to hear ya say that. Would you say the PMs are kinda top of the line as far as the Tiawan lathes go ? What about South Bends Tiawan line, overpriced or are they that well built ?

There are at least a couple grinding houses in Chicago. The previous owner of my Sheldon MW-56-P had the ways, carriage, and cross slide ground at American Grinding and Machine Services:
https://www.americangrinding.com/grinding-services.html

It was done around 2001 and if I remember correctly at a cost of $400.00. They removed about .002" from the ways. They did excellent work. I'm currently on the road right now and can't remember the exact details, and don't have the paper work with me. I'll be on the road another 3 weeks or so, but if you're interested in more details I can look them up when I get home.

In the mean time you might want to give them a call. I'm sure there has been price increases since 2001.

There is another grinding house by the name of Chicago Grinding & Machine:
https://www.chicagogrinding.com/

I'm not sure if they do machine reconditioning, but it might be worth giving them a call also.

Reactions: AJ
There are at least a couple grinding houses in Chicago. The previous owner of my Sheldon MW-56-P had the ways, carriage, and cross slide ground at American Grinding and Machine Services:
https://www.americangrinding.com/grinding-services.html

It was done around 2001 and if I remember correctly at a cost of $400.00. They removed about .002" from the ways. They did excellent work. I'm currently on the road right now and can't remember the exact details, and don't have the paper work with me. I'll be on the road another 3 weeks or so, but if you're interested in more details I can look them up when I get home.

In the mean time you might want to give them a call. I'm sure there has been price increases since 2001.

There is another grinding house by the name of Chicago Grinding & Machine:
https://www.chicagogrinding.com/

I'm not sure if they do machine reconditioning, but it might be worth giving them a call also.
Great, thanks

Greetings AJ, rebuilding an older lathe or any machinery is a very satisfying project. Your thinking of doing it right, i have seen at least one you-tuber who thinks repainting an old South bend is rebuilding it.

Greetings AJ, rebuilding an older lathe or any machinery is a very satisfying project. Your thinking of doing it right, i have seen at least one you-tuber who thinks repainting an old South bend is rebuilding it.

Yes, I have seen those videos. I kept wondering, "is he going to scrape/grind the saddle-bed after he paints it?
Beautiful work though!
I would need to take a class or two before tackling a lathe or mill. There is much more to it than just flat!!
Lipstick on a pig?

I`m surprised to hear ya say that. Would you say the PMs are kinda top of the line as far as the Tiawan lathes go ? What about South Bends Tiawan line, overpriced or are they that well built ?
I only can compare the PM1340gt to a Harrison boxford vsl that was 40 years old. The Pm is a great value for the money. To get the heavier Taiwan models it is about $4k more.South bend taiwan have several different that are heavier for a similar swing and length to a PM but cost more.

Yeah, where I come from rebuilding is not parts swapping or painting, it`s bring her back to factory specs and with my own two hands if I can..

There is rebuilding, refurbishing and cleanup.

One must understand what the end result will be with each option to consider return on investment.

A South Bend with worn ways will be different than one without but consider the real difference in cut.

Cutting at center and lowering tool as a worn way and the difference in depth of cut is minimal.

Rigidity and other features of any lathe when new limit how good it can be.

Lipstick on a pig is a good line here.

A worn but cleaned up South Bend works almost as good as the exact same machine when new in proper hands.

It may be better to tear down and clean all then paint and tune to adjust ships and gibs.

The money saved can be used for tooling or put aside for the next machine...and there will be...on lathe 9 or so and was not even looking for last one...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back