rear mount parting tool

HACKMASTER

Active User
Registered
up grade to my new used new lathe rear parting and grooving tool had to make something fun

TOOL PIC 014.jpg parting tool 006.jpg parting tool 004.jpg parting tool 001.jpg

Very nice!!

How does it work for you?

VERY nice lathe,too. What brand is it,and where was it made?

Just be careful when backing your FRONT cutting tool away from the work. I found it rather easy to forget and run the rear tool into the work. They do work very well,though.

up grade to my new used new lathe rear parting and grooving tool had to make something fun

There are three reasons to use a rear-mount parting tool. A threaded spindle (risk of unscrewing), no spindle reverse, and the risk (perhaps exaggerated, as I've never seen an actual report) that a front-mount puts so much stress on the saddle that the dovetail cracks (cutting forces are up, not down, so aim at the weak point of the dovetail).

I've used an upside down, front mounted parting tool for decades with a D-4 spindle mount and reverse. Doesn't bind, fits my QCTP like any other tool, and everything is in clear view. No problems with this approach on several lathes. In fact, the best feature is that it fails-safe by lifting slightly in the QCTP if it does bind (leave the QCTP locking lever tight, but not too tight!)

i'm curious to know if there was a specific reason for your design choice. From the pictures, your lathe looks as if it has none of these issues.

Nice job. And a good looking lathe, too.

There are three reasons to use a rear-mount parting tool. A threaded spindle (risk of unscrewing), no spindle reverse, and the risk (perhaps exaggerated, as I've never seen an actual report) that a front-mount puts so much stress on the saddle that the dovetail cracks (cutting forces are up, not down, so aim at the weak point of the dovetail).

I've used an upside down, front mounted parting tool for decades with a D-4 spindle mount and reverse. Doesn't bind, fits my QCTP like any other tool, and everything is in clear view. No problems with this approach on several lathes. In fact, the best feature is that it fails-safe by lifting slightly in the QCTP if it does bind (leave the QCTP locking lever tight, but not too tight!)

i'm curious to know if there was a specific reason for your design choice. From the pictures, your lathe looks as if it has none of these issues.

Nice job. And a good looking lathe, too.
I just copied the one from the owners manual parting from the front seams to work better than the rear mount

After copying the rear parting tool mount from the owners manual it really does not work as well as the standard way of mounting and as other fellow hobby folks have mentioned there are risks involved such as watching the rear for the big crash into the chuck if turning large dia stock also as mentioned the stress on the dove tails may be a concern thanks for the comments

Back