Reamers with two sizes?

Archer60x

Registered
Registered
I picked up some used reamers on Ebay and i think they all seem to have a "notch" that goes around the entire circumfrence about 3/4" the way up.

It appears this beginning 3/4" for the pictured example is .4280 then after that notch it goes up to .437?? I dont have a micrometer yet to measure so i am using calipers.

What kind of reamers are these? Am i right about the different sizes on them?

Thanks!
Chad
1703290332699.png

1703290357328.png

I don't know the answer to your question but is it an undersize/oversize reamer 2-in-1 kind of deal?

I am taking delivery of a PM728VT Wednesday. So i dont have things in front of me to try.

So i am going through these reamers and i thought i would measure the shanks first to see what collets they align with.

I am just using calipers out to hundreths decimal.

They range from
.25 Hole bunch of these

How much of a range does an R8 collet have? I got these with my mill

Will a .1875 collet accept the .15 .17 size?
WIll a .25 collect take .23 .20?

Thanks!
Chad

You don't want to spring your collets . Just use a chuck .

OH that is true... i will use them as a drill no side pressure so i can use the chuck!

Sorry for the dumb question! I was not thinking.

Chad

THanks! Well i got a pile of them for $40. :) Need to organize them now.

Also need to look up how to sharpen and take care of them. I figure if i got junk and can use the HSS and Carbide bits of them for other things.

View attachment 471598View attachment 471599
View attachment 471600
Nice haul. You do not want to sharpen your reamers. Since you are a beginner, you, nor I have the tools necessary to properly sharpen them. I have a tool cutter/surface grinder, but still do not have the proper fixturing to accomplish the task. If they are dull, send them out for proper sharpening. They will be undersize most likely. Do not turn them backward, that rolls the edge and dulls them, they need lots of oil and should always be used in slow, these are not drill bits.

Back