Reamers Values

pn6

Registered
Registered
I have this box of reamers that belonged to my wifes Uncle. I have no idea the value of these or whether I should keep them as the set or sell them individually. I just threw a price out on Craigslist but my area isn't a hotbed for machinists as I'm not getting any responses. Am I way off on value??

Any ideas on off loading these would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/tls/5056361143.html

I would keep the on the shelf until you need them. If they were given to me, I would find them much more valuable to have on the shelf than the money in my pocket. You may never use all of them, but if you have them you will use them and if you need one, it will be invaluable.

They are not likely to sell for $300, maybe 100 or a little more or less. Sight unseen, no manufacturer listed, no idea if they are HSS or carbon, its a bit of wild guess. If you really need the money put them on ebay with auction starting at $1 to attract attention and bidding.

michael

Sorry, but your listing has flaws. Price at top is $299…at bottom $400. They look like hand reamers because of the square drive and have straight flutes. Are the spiral tapered? And the price is too high. All this is probably spooking the lookers. Sorry, I hope you take it as suggestive criticism…Dave.

PS; the spiral reamers look like for taper pins, need better pic to tell.

Last edited:
The value of hand reamers on eBay is pretty low. I have several thousand new Yankee and Titan hand reamers from the inventory I bought of a tooling company that closed down. Every metric and imperial size up to 1". I average ~10 bucks a piece for them. Auction is even worse. You can put twenty or so together in an auction and get 8 bucks for the lot.

It seems things like the reamers are of more value to you then the public . It's hard to shell out the amounts of money wanted for them, it's going to take someone who does a lot of different jobs to buy a set like that. Most shops now order after the jobs are brought in. I know I only buy when I need now . It's tough for you but if you brake up the set I still don't think you'll get the amount you want ,may be they will bring $100 to $200 but that will be lucky . Try ya never know.

Yeah I figured the price was too high and knew it was advertised with two prices. These aren't mine they belong to the wife's cousin and I just told him I'd help him get rid of the stuff he didn't want. Now that I've heard the $100 number thrown around I'll get them priced to sell. I don't want them as I have enough stuff already and seldom have a need for any of these. I've been a top rated seller on Ebay so I know my ad for the reamers is sub par. I actually had forgotten about them until I stubbed my toe on the case the other day! Now they are on my list of stuff to move!!
Thanks for all the input. I'll post the new link once I get some new and better pics of them. They don't seem to be high carbon steel and the Uncle was a mechanic with his own auto repair shop.

If you are an ebay seller throw the set on there and post a link for us.
Dave

Actually is say $20 a set would move them. One looks damaged that has the other reamer on top of it. You will probably do better on eBay then any where else.

I see tools priced high at the flea market but they are usually still there at the next sale so I wait till they come within reason then I offer them the price I want to give always willing to walk away. The sets are in pretty good shape so I'd probably be willing to give $20 a set without haggling if I wanted them.

The brand in the shank end views can't be read. What is the information stamped there?

Back