Really shiny

This is the shop at the Business and Technology Campus of Metropolitan Community College of Kansas City Missouri.

I'm happy to see some community college's machine shop/courses are still up and running(and expanding as evidenced here). Way to often shops of all types are being eliminated(as is the case with our local one) not only in CCs but high school as well.:nuts:It would be interesting to see a list of CCs still offering machine tech programs on a state or regional basis.

thanks for posting, nice looking BP.

Brian

This is the shop at the Business and Technology Campus of Metropolitan Community College of Kansas City Missouri. The primary product we produce is broken cutting tools. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Just like my shop!

I'm a cinncy fan actually. have a 1-D with a seized spindle... soon as the weather breaks I'll take it apart and get it running (at least I tell my self that)

But that is a very nice looking mill

DROOL. I didn't even know they were still being made new! Wow!

Bernie

That's a nice looking Bridgeport. As far as Community Colleges having trades classes, Kirkwood Community College in Cedar Rapids, IA has an excellent machine shop and program, everything from manual machines to laser, EDM wire, water jet and press brakes.

You are a very lucky guy. I have heard that new Bridgeports were still being made, but have never seen one in person in a shop, much less a community college. Like others have said it seems that most schools are shutting down machinery courses, if they haven't already done so.

Them new ones are a joy to work on for sure. Our first lesson the first day of class was cleaning and tramming in the 4 new sharp BP clones. Just so smooth next to the old ones. We also got a new big haus and new real big haus. But we dont have way oil:nuts:

You are a very lucky guy. I have heard that new Bridgeports were still being made, but have never seen one in person in a shop, much less a community college. Like others have said it seems that most schools are shutting down machinery courses, if they haven't already done so.

Yes, I see schools closing their programs on an alarmingly regular basis. Ours has had its ups and downs but is thriving at the moment. We have had full day and night classes for the last three semesters. Our most popular program is the 16 week certificate in either lathe or mill. Students learn manual machines and if they pass that portion of the course they are allowed to move on to some CNC machine operation. The last 6 weeks is a paid internship with one of our local business partners. In addition to the Bridgeport, we have been lucky enough to receive grant money to help us purchase 4 Haas mini mills and 4 more CNC lathes; two of which have Y-axis capability. That brings us up to 8 CNC mills and 8 CNC lathes total. On the manual side, we have 17 each 15" Clausing lathes and 18 each manual mills. 14 of those are Bridgeports.

In addition to the Bridgeport, we have been lucky enough to receive grant money to help us purchase 4 Haas mini mills and 4 more CNC lathes; two of which have Y-axis capability. That brings us up to 8 CNC mills and 8 CNC lathes total. On the manual side, we have 17 each 15" Clausing lathes and 18 each manual mills. 14 of those are Bridgeports.

Good grief!

How's the housing market in KCMO? :thinking:

Back