Real world MagXact DRO feedback requested

In almost every DRO install I have done, I ended up making most of my own brackets, as there are so many variables between machines. But use what you can and also you need the DIsplay mount. The cost of bracket materials is nominal relative to to the DRO cost, but there is the time element. Just depends on how you want to do it. The Ditron DRO's/scales are a major supplier and in my experience have worked well (I have used their magnetic scales), but have not worked the the D80. It is a good choice, and/or the ES-12B/C at that cost level, buying from US suppliers you have technical and warranty support.

You will like the D80. I have some much slimmer magnetic scales, that are very easy to mount. I think no matter what, you'll end up making some custom bracketry. I don't know you, but that should take minutes, not hours.

You will like the D80. I have some much slimmer magnetic scales, that are very easy to mount. I think no matter what, you'll end up making some custom bracketry. I don't know you, but that should take minutes, not hours.
I've only used a mill a few times. It'll take more than minutes, but that's part if the hobby I am willing to have patience with.

So the Ditron D80 with magnetic scales has jumped to the top of the list.
I looked over the manual. I like the fact that it has a feed rate display - a lot of the lower end DRO's lack that feature. You run a feeds/speeds calc and the results says to feet a 3.5 inches/minute - that's difficult to judge until you have a few years experience. Having a feed rate indication can be really helpful. Also, don't be afraid to make your own brackets. I've installed about 15 DRO's on various mills for friends and always resort to a few (if not all) custom brackets.

Back