Real world MagXact DRO feedback requested

MyLilMule

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am considering this DRO for my Bridgeport: https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/magxact-3-axis-mill-dro-12x24x20/

I want a magnetic scale DRO and I will NOT buy something that ships from China - that rules out Ali Express and others like it.

I don't care where it was made, just that it's sold and supported by a USA based company.

I came across this DRO when watching Abom79 unbox his new PM lathe - he had the LCD version installed by PM.

I am looking for feedback on ease of use, accuracy, etc. Was it worth what you paid for it?

TIA

Consider a Newall. Details on my Newall install are here - although mine has totally custom made brackets, the only reason I went to that effort was to integrate the power feed limit stops into the install encoder setup.

Newall makes an entry level 2-axis system and a more advanced 3-axis system. If you want more details, let me know. Adam (Abom79) has a Newall on his mill. He did some videos on that install which you can find at the link below (although that particular Newall model has been superseded by the Newall NMS300)

I have considered the Newall. I had an idea of a budget for the DRO (~800) and the Newall is 50% higher than that. Although I think those new scales are pretty spiffy, I'm not at the point yet where I want to expand my budget by THAT much. Even at $900 for the MagXact, I'm over budget, but not by much.

Have you considered Fagor. Their made in Spain I believe. Not US but not China either. They have offices in California, Texas and Chicago.
My 9x42 mill came with one installed from the dealer.

Have you considered Fagor. Their made in Spain I believe. Not US but not China either. They have offices in California, Texas and Chicago.
My 9x42 mill came with one installed from the dealer.
I had not heard of them. Just did a search. See my previous message. WAY out of my budget.

Still looking for feedback on the PM DROs though.

I have the MX 200 flavor. I am almost positive they are re-branded Electronica 750’s from DRO Pros. The magnetic scales are the same as the one you are considering, and I have not used any of the 200 features that aren’t in the 100 yet. My 200 has a bug that is displaying the feed rate incorrectly, but they are looking into a software update for that. I sometimes think I should have just stuck with the 100, but we shall see.

Scales are easy to size, and install. I have had to make several parts to do so however, to make it look better to me. No issues other than the bug at this time, very repeatable, and my touch buttons work fine. Tactile buttons are another reason I sometimes wish I stuck with the 100, but that may be unwarranted, as I have had 0 problems with pushes not registering.

The price at PM is less than the DRO Pros version, but I have not been able to find a difference. You will likely get more feedback by looking into the EL 400 from them. I think it is the EXACT machine, but probably exists in larger numbers than the MagXact.

Feel free to PM me if you would like to chat with specific questions.

You might look at the Ditron D80 3 Axis Mill DRO Kit w/ Magnetic Scales via a US supplier and which uses Ditron magnetic scales. I recall some resolution issues in other posts with versions bought from Aliexpress and it may have been sold with generic scales. Others have had good results with the D80 and it does no break the bank. I have the EL700/750/MX200 on my mill that I purchased Dro Pros and it has been very reliable and worked well. The touch screen takes a bit getting use too and I added a screen protector. It is accurate and lots of functions, mostly the graphical numbers are much easier for me to see. I also have an Easson 12B on the lathe it it also works well, they are available with magnetic scales from the UK and are similar in cost ($800 includes air freight shipping and arrives in 1 week) to the Ditron D80. I would also look at the glass scale models from QMT/PM if you can get the correct scale lengths. Nothing wrong with glass scales, but a bit more tricky to install and the length can't be modified easily.

The price at PM is less than the DRO Pros version, but I have not been able to find a difference. You will likely get more feedback by looking into the EL 400 from them. I think it is the EXACT machine, but probably exists in larger numbers than the MagXact.
I think you are right. I am also considering then MX200, but it would be a hard sell for me to stretch the budget that far, not impossible, but improbable.

You might look at the Ditron D80 3 Axis Mill DRO Kit w/ Magnetic Scales via a US supplier and which uses Ditron magnetic scales. I recall some resolution issues in other posts with versions bought from Aliexpress and it may have been sold with generic scales. Others have had good results with the D80 and it does no break the bank. I have the EL700/750/MX200 on my mill that I purchased Dro Pros and it has been very reliable and worked well. The touch screen takes a bit getting use too and I added a screen protector. It is accurate and lots of functions, mostly the graphical numbers are much easier for me to see. I also have an Easson 12B on the lathe it it also works well, they are available with magnetic scales from the UK and are similar in cost ($800 includes air freight shipping and arrives in 1 week) to the Ditron D80. I would also look at the glass scale models from QMT/PM if you can get the correct scale lengths. Nothing wrong with glass scales, but a bit more tricky to install and the length can't be modified easily.
The Ditron D80 from Machine Tool Products has piqued my interests. I am curious what kind of bracketry it comes with. I know that the PM MadXact kits come with everything I would need to mount it to my Bridgeport, minus the tapped holes I will need to make. Saving money is a plus, but I also don't want to have to spend hours making brackets either. I will have to inquire what it comes with.

So the Ditron D80 with magnetic scales has jumped to the top of the list.

Back