Re-paint old machines or keep original?

i am not too stuck on the original thing, i do like a clean paintjob though. i am not looking to sell any of my equipment so that has nothing to do with it. fresh enamel paint cleans easier with a rag, and in the process of getting the machine ready for paint i learn how all the pieces go together (and apart) and the condition of all the parts. good to know what may be needing attention in the coming months. and just so you dont start thinking i am a neatness freak... a pic of some of my shop:))
20131018_143959.jpg

20131018_143959.jpg

The chrome won't get you home......I paint them if I disassemble them, but I don't go crazy with the finish, decent prep,but I'm not looking for a blue ribbon at the fair, just a decent industrial paint job, I'd rather see oil on them than a pristine paint job when i buy them....I do maintain and take care of my tools, their job is to function not look pretty...they sure look pretty to me though :)

All the machines I've bought were in need of a paint job. I always give them a going over when I get them home then paint. I painted most of mine about 10yrs ago and they have held up good and it makes them easy to keep clean.

Paint them if you wish; they are working tools and should be kept up.

Disassembling, cleaning, and painting old machines is a very satisfying hobby. I have restored several old machines and I am in the process of painting two small mills.

If you need to strip paint, please realize that many old machines used a paste filler to fill the pores of the cast iron before painting. I would not strip so much that you are removing that filler. Just remove the surface paint. Much less work in the long run.

Well this is the before picture:

Colchester Chipmaster.JPG

And this is after touch up:

Optimized-PA220091.JPG

Unfortunately the colour isn't a perfect match but it's as close as the paint shop could get it. You can see a slight difference in tone:

Optimized-PA220093.JPG

Optimized-PA220097.JPG

Admittedly it could probably have been stripped and repainted, but I want to use the machine rather than have it in pieces. I am not sure if I did the right thing but all the little chips and spots were getting on my nerves.

Paul.

Colchester Chipmaster.JPG Optimized-PA220091.JPG Optimized-PA220093.JPG Optimized-PA220097.JPG

I'm in the repaint if it needs it camp. I don't feel the need to match the original color but out of respect to the old machines I avoid garish paint jobs but I find machine gray is a bit tedious. The bottom line is they are your machines, life is short, do what makes you happy, that's what its all about anyway.

My view is that I would touch up if possible, but if the chips got too big, I'd strip it, carefully prep it and paint it, using original colour paint, or as near as I could match it.

If I see a machine that has obviously been repainted, I look at the care that has been taken in the painting - a carefully prepped and painted machine has probably been carefully stripped and reassembled....

Duncan

I would not even touch a machine up that looked that good, to me that is plug and play ready. Machines that need repaint to me look rode hard and put away wet. Those are the machines that need repainted, not one like you showed. At least to me anyway.

Well this is the before picture:

View attachment 62767

And this is after touch up:

View attachment 62768

Unfortunately the colour isn't a perfect match but it's as close as the paint shop could get it. You can see a slight difference in tone:

View attachment 62769

View attachment 62770

Admittedly it could probably have been stripped and repainted, but I want to use the machine rather than have it in pieces. I am not sure if I did the right thing but all the little chips and spots were getting on my nerves.

Paul.

- - - Updated - - -

Indeed, color is a very personal thing. Paint them whatever color makes you happy. Personally I am happy so long as they are some shade of grey! LOL

I'm in the repaint if it needs it camp. I don't feel the need to match the original color but out of respect to the old machines I avoid garish paint jobs but I find machine gray is a bit tedious. The bottom line is they are your machines, life is short, do what makes you happy, that's what its all about anyway.

I would not even touch a machine up that looked that good, to me that is plug and play ready. Machines that need repaint to me look rode hard and put away wet. Those are the machines that need repainted, not one like you showed. At least to me anyway.

IMHO he did the right thing to touch it up.
Unless you have it in a climate controlled area the damage spreads like a cancer.
My shop doesn't stay heated in the winter because it costs way to much for the size of the room and if I don't run both dehumidifiers in the summer things start to rust.

Could not have said it better myself.

Back