Re-paint old machines or keep original?

IMHO he did the right thing to touch it up.
Unless you have it in a climate controlled area the damage spreads like a cancer.
My shop doesn't stay heated in the winter because it costs way to much for the size of the room and if I don't run both dehumidifiers in the summer things start to rust.

I probably could have done a better job communicating what was on my mind. I applaud touching up nicks, chips and such as was described. What I was trying to say was that many times machines that guys like me think need repainted are too far gone for small efforts and touching up and realistically the only way to make the machine look anything but worn out and abused is to totally blow it apart and rebuild and repaint the entire machine. I will never understand totally stripping a machine down for new bearings and other such parts but not taking the time to repaint the machine and leaving it scarred, abused and generally worn out looking after totally tearing it down. (which would not be a machine like the one pictured)

I understand your sentiment here but for me totally stripping, prepping, and repainting one of my machines right, the only way I'd do it, would add weeks to a rebuild, take a ton of hard, miserable work, add a couple hundred dollars, and wouldn't add a bit more accuracy to the machine.
There are advantages to a well painted machine but they have to do with ease of cleaning rather than nice appearance which means little to ME.
Heck, I kinda like the lived in look.

Which is the beauty of choice. Not surprising that we all have different ideas on this or any other subject really.

These kind of subjects don't really have a right or wrong view to them at all. I am a little bit OCD when it comes to keeping my machines clean and tidy and have found that the neater they look, the more likely I am to do whatever I need to to keep them in top condition. Other people manage to have a scruffy looking machine that is always well oiled and mechanically A1.

I am always pressed for time so the neater and cleaner everything is, the easier it is for me to get to started on my projects. All my machines are workhorses and have not been bought to sit idle and look pretty but for some reason I get a sense of self satisfaction whever I look at a clean machine in my workshop. It's like standing in a Japanese garden looking at a manicured tree or a pond full of goldfish. Maybe I'm a little crazy but it brings out the beauty of the machine's design as well.

Paul.

Back