Rags

I recall when I first arrived in Odessa, Texas (back in the '70s). I thought they had a pretty nasty racial problem when I walked into a laundromat and saw a sign "Greasers only" above a couple of the machines. Thankfully I was wrong - those machines were "reserved" for oil field coveralls. Don't know if they still have such machines, but once I learned what they were for, I thought it was a good idea.

We had a shop rag cleaning service (Cintas) at my last company. Probably wouldn't make sense for a home shop, but might want to check and see.

Thanks all for the advice, Gona try dawn sope hot water in 5gal buckets soaked shake around and
rinse in other bucket, ring out put in trash bag , take to laundry mat a little more dawn and some grease eater, hopefully don't get arrested as no greaser machines around here.

Tried cintas , they don't do personal rags , just there rentals

Spent this morning with buckets of hot water , dawn sope, oil eater, prune hands .going to sneak them into laundromat tonight with more dawn and bleach, should be ready for round two after that:courage:

I have the shop red rags. But after using paper towels for about 10 years now. I don’t see the need for the rags. And if I did need the rags. Maybe just throw them away after they get soiled and buy new ones. The time, soap and running around maybe not worth it. I pay about $1 a roll for the paper towels and that will last about 2 months. A no brainer. And I also do the grading system with the paper towels. I save the soiled ones for spills, then into the garbage…Dave

These rags are the bar type terycloth rags with a colored stripe down the middle, if I Remembe rrite were .50 a piece. I think there worth rejuvenating. When I got them I was working on old crusty machines and paper towels weren't cutting it, they are/were good towel / rags , hate buying things just to throw away.

I have the shop red rags. But after using paper towels for about 10 years now. I don’t see the need for the rags. And if I did need the rags. Maybe just throw them away after they get soiled and buy new ones. The time, soap and running around maybe not worth it. I pay about $1 a roll for the paper towels and that will last about 2 months. A no brainer. And I also do the grading system with the paper towels. I save the soiled ones for spills, then into the garbage…Dave

Dave,
I am completely on board with your system. I to am a paper towel user and reuse as I can. You have very sound plan.

I just don't let them get that bad, then quietly toss one in the washer after the Wife has started the load and left the scene. :grin: One rag is not much mess. Really bad ones get presoaked or used as kindling starter in the winter.

Back