[How do I?] Radius knurling

R

reg

Forum Guest
Register Today
There is always something new to learn.
Anyone have a good idea how to generate a radius knurl ? It doesn't have to be a full cross hatch knurl, a simple one line knurl would work fine.
Want it to make small lock nuts like those found on early scopes or like those found on early Lyman 310 die lock rings.
Very rarely one sees special radius knurls for sale on ebay and I have found at least one set in a catalog but there has to be a simple way to generate this form of knurl without putting the farm in hock.
Thanks for any info you can come up with.

If you look at the first post this thread, there's someone showing some info about rope knurls, which I believe some folks call radius knurls.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/2637-Knurling-thread-by-George-Wilson?highlight=knurl

There is always something new to learn.
Anyone have a good idea how to generate a radius knurl ? It doesn't have to be a full cross hatch knurl, a simple one line knurl would work fine.
Want it to make small lock nuts like those found on early scopes or like those found on early Lyman 310 die lock rings.
Very rarely one sees special radius knurls for sale on ebay and I have found at least one set in a catalog but there has to be a simple way to generate this form of knurl without putting the farm in hock.
Thanks for any info you can come up with.

Reg,

I made a convex knurl for a thumb nut that I made for my Stevens Favorite. If you click on the link and scroll about 3/4 of the way down, there is a little description about how it was done.

Tom

018_2.JPG

016_2.JPG

018_2.JPG

016_2.JPG

Nice! I wish I had more time to do finer work like that.

Those knurls can be bought at web sites for jewelry making. And there are a lot of different types. Thing is that they do not call them knurls, and i forgot what they do call them. They are kind of expensive.

Back