Radial arm drill

Martin W

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I bought a Mas VR2 3’ radial arm drill. #4 Morse taper.600 volts 9 amps.The box table has a few apprentice holes in it. Argh!! Found this about an hour from me. He said it has been not used in years. They had put a new lead screw on last time it was used. Seems in really nice shape. I guess we will find out Wednesday when I get it home.
It’s not a Cincinnati Bickford or Carleton or a Giddings and Lewis but Mas makes a pretty heavy duty drill.
Cheers
Martin53FEC9D1-71F1-49F6-A1C5-3E1B6EBC7524.png

Boy that's BIG !!!! That fixture bock weights more then most home hobbyist milling machines !

I have always wanted a big old radial arm drill like that!... what on earth are they used for? I have every confidence I could invent a use but what are they commonly used for? (Please don't answer...."drilling holes" :) )

I have always wanted a big old radial arm drill like that!... what on earth are they used for? I have every confidence I could invent a use but what are they commonly used for? (Please don't answer...."drilling holes" :) )
The thing with a radial arm drill you can position the drill over the part instead of positioning the part under the drill.
I have a bunch of #4 Morse taper drills that I can only use on my lathe. Now I can use them also on the radial drill
Cheers
Martin

Back