Quill DRO on G0728, G0279, G0230 etc etc knee mill

r-mm

Registered
Registered
Hi all

I actually have the Enco version of this knee mill which I think has the same head casting as many Grizzleys. Flatness is in short supply around the quill and I'd like to ask how you all attached a Quill DRO?

Thanks

A pic of my Enco version of this mill:

Attachments

• Photo Nov 27, 3 46 27 PM.jpg
    Photo Nov 27, 3 46 27 PM.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
IMG_6502.JPG

made an angled bit to attach to the housing and a right angled bit to mount the readout to the depth stop thing that's screwed to the quill.

Looks like you have a couple of flat surfaces on the sides of the bosses that hold the depth stop rod. I'd use those.

When I added a DRO to my Grizzly G1007/RF-30 clone, I replaced the depth rod on the spindle with the Z axis scale. Here are a couple of photos that show the general layout. It's not shown too well, but the lower end of the scale is attached to the green ring that clamps onto the spindle. The board attached to the bottom of the ring was to mount some LED "festoon" arrays. The read head of the scale was attached to an aluminum plate that closed off the front opening of the plastic cover.
kHPIM6136.jpg
kHPIM0232.jpg

View attachment 345668

made an angled bit to attach to the housing and a right angled bit to mount the readout to the depth stop thing that's screwed to the quill.

Looks like you have a couple of flat surfaces on the sides of the bosses that hold the depth stop rod. I'd use those.

This, angle brackets and possibly a finger.

Back