Quick Change Tool post - Re-assembly?

jareese

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
So, while I wait for the replacement parts for my lathe (waiting for the quote when I did this) I was cleaning all the cosmoline off, I disassembled the quick change tool post for a good cleaning... Now I can't seem to put it back together to where it looks right... There is a silver/light gray washer with a recess, and then the darker metal nut and washer. If I leave out the lighter colored washer, the nut will not screw all the way down. If I put the light colored washer in, it just doesn't look right.... I've tried with both washers swapped around. I looked at it and thought simple enough, the proceeded to take it apart without any pics...

Anyone have any ideas? or am I just overthinking this stuff again...?? (I mean, over analyzing.. I never do this, never. No, not ever............yeah.... carry on)

Attachments

• IMG_1865.jpg
    IMG_1865.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1866.jpg
    IMG_1866.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1867.jpg
    IMG_1867.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1868.jpg
    IMG_1868.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 16
Check to see if there is an exploded parts diagram for the toolpost.

There is a subtle clocking issue...I had this same problem, stewed about it for awhile, fixed it easily, and now can't recall what the solution was. Pretty soon you will be an expert in this.

the answer is counterintuitive. The rescessed washer goes down, with the recess against the toolpost. the timing washer goes on top of that. then the nut goes on.

It just doesn’t LOOK right. I’ll giver a shot again.

When I did my AXA and rebuilt 2 of my BXAs It never looked right but it was the only way to get it to work correctly. Sometimes you have to 'clock' the spiral 90 degrees to make it all work with the handle in the right place.

Last edited:
Back