Quick Change Nylon Gears

XPFTP

Registered
Registered
Quick Change Nylon Gears

the gears below in nylon ??? what say you ???
the 2 10-1552X gears as you see they are double gears each also the 2nd pic handle gear itself. not like they will be used tons but who knows.
i thought i found someone with all 3 gears but its turnin out to many red flags they seem like a scam on fakebook. new page also made like feb 2 of this year.
also they spell boy as boi.. sort of makes me wonder ya know.

pic 1.jpg

pic 2.jpg

The firs jam up the teeth would break off, then you would have to do the job all over, if it was mine, they would be either cast iron or steel. I don't think any plastic is appropriate for this application.

The firs jam up the teeth would break off, then you would have to do the job all over, if it was mine, they would be either cast iron or steel. I don't think any plastic is appropriate for this application.
This, braze them up and recut.

This, braze them up and recut.
i have no way to recut or cut new. local here if i could find a place. one gear would be 500 or more.
i would have to send out or order from someone who does this. again 100s per gear.

if they break good then right .... its a place for give. but i dont plan on doing that ..
i guess ill just leave it as is. use the gearbox case to hold that end of the lead. put electric motor on other end.

was hopping to keep it orig in working order. grrrrr

I just had gears printed for a thread dial application. Thread dials carry no load and I did use nylon,.... BUT I could have ordered the gears in metal (can't remember what metal exactly it was because I knew I was going to use nylon,... Sorry I digress,... The nylon gears were about $7. each, and the same gears in metal were only about $30. so that's really not all that expensive.

If you can get the drawings for the original gears, that would be good to submit to "shapeways" if they are 3D drawings. Otherwise, you need to measure some of the parameters of the gear you are replacing and insert them into the gear design program to create .stl 3D drawings. Here's where I designed my replacement gears from measuring the original gear:

Then, because I didn't have a CAD program to view the drawings I had created with the measurements that I had made, I went to this site to view the drawings so I could make sure they matched the gears I needed. (because it would suck to make a drawing mistake and pay for gears that came out wrong)..

Then after confirming that the gears I designed matched the gears that I needed, I went to the shapeways site and looked at my options to print them. I was surprised that I could have ordered them in some kind of metal as well as have them 3D printed in a few different plastics. In my case, I ordered 2 sets of them in plastic figuring that If one set wore out quickly, I could re-order them in made in metal and still have working nylon set until the metal ones were made. Each gear cost me about $7. so with tax and shipping I spent $66. to get 6 nylon gears. When I was ordering them was when I noticed that I could have ordered them in metal for $30. each. At that point I just wanted to see what the quality would be so ordering the cheaper nylon gears made sense (cents) Here's the link to shapeways:

and here's a picture of what the gears I had printed look like next to the thread dial with the original metal gear that I got with the lathe (there was suppose to be 3 metal gears for that dial, but I only had 1 and the other 2 were no longer produced so, hence my need to make the other 2 sizes)

printed thread dial gears1.jpg

Last edited:
I just had gears printed for a thread dial application. Thread dials carry no load and I did use nylon,.... BUT I could have ordered the gears in metal (can't remember what metal exactly it was because I knew I was going to use nylon,... Sorry I digress,... The nylon gears were about $7. each, and the same gears in metal were only about $30. so that's really not all that expensive.

If you can get the drawings for the original gears, that would be good to submit to "shapeways" if they are 3D drawings. Otherwise, you need to measure some of the parameters of the gear you are replacing and insert them into the gear design program to create .stl 3D drawings. Here's where I designed my replacement gears from measuring the original gear:

Then, because I didn't have a CAD program to view the drawings I had created with the measurements that I had made, I went to this site to view the drawings so I could make sure they matched the gears I needed. (because it would suck to make a drawing mistake and pay for gears that came out wrong)..

Then after confirming that the gears I designed matched the gears that I needed, I went to the shapeways site and looked at my options to print them. I was surprised that I could have ordered them in some kind of metal as well as have them 3D printed in a few different plastics. In my case, I ordered 2 sets of them in plastic figuring that If one set wore out quickly, I could re-order them in made in metal and still have working nylon set until the metal ones were made. Each gear cost me about $7. so with tax and shipping I spent $66. to get 6 nylon gears. When I was ordering them was when I noticed that I could have ordered them in metal for $30. each. At that point I just wanted to see what the quality would be so ordering the cheaper nylon gears made sense (cents) Here's the link to shapeways:

and here's a picture of what the gears I had printed look like next to the thread dial with the original metal gear that I got with the lathe (there was suppose to be 3 metal gears for that dial, but I only had 1 and the other 2 were no longer produced so, hence my need to make the other 2 sizes)

View attachment 480943
thank you for the info.. all good stuff for sure..
i still have figured out what i will do about the gears ...
ive never messured gears for replacement so on. iam sure it isnt hard to do. but to know if iam right will.. hahhaha...
maybe ill grind out some wood and make a mold. pour lead in and then send them off hahhahha

I'm very new to this myself to be honest. I did about 2 weeks of research before I felt I had a handle on gear technology. At this point, I'm still unsure just because I haven't had much real life experience. I've just read a lot of information and just happened to get it right on my first gear project.

WTBS,... your gears appear to be simple spur gears (meaning no helical angle) The teeth are perpendicular to the gear, so there's not a lot of specifications needed to make the 3D .stl files because there's a lot of standardization in gear making, so different diameter gears can mesh with each other.

You should be able to measure the # of teeth, the outside diameter, and the gear thickness to be able to model your gear. You will also need to chose the tooth angle (I would bet it's 14.5 degrees) The program has an option for a center hole AND a keyway if you can figure out how to add those features too. (I just make a tiny center hole in mine so I could bore them out to the size I wanted)

As I said in my recent thread on my thread dial gears, It took me weeks of research to understand what I was trying to do, and all of 45 minutes to design my gears, look at the gears I designed with the online viewer, and then order my gears from shapeways..

Try measuring the outside diameter of your broken gear and count the # of teeth, then go to my first link and see how much the program fills in the rest of the specifications... You'll be surprised at how easy it is....

I'm very new to this myself to be honest. I did about 2 weeks of research before I felt I had a handle on gear technology. At this point, I'm still unsure just because I haven't had much real life experience. I've just read a lot of information and just happened to get it right on my first gear project.

WTBS,... your gears appear to be simple spur gears (meaning no helical angle) The teeth are perpendicular to the gear, so there's not a lot of specifications needed to make the 3D .stl files because there's a lot of standardization in gear making, so different diameter gears can mesh with each other.

You should be able to measure the # of teeth, the outside diameter, and the gear thickness to be able to model your gear. You will also need to chose the tooth angle (I would bet it's 14.5 degrees) The program has an option for a center hole AND a keyway if you can figure out how to add those features too. (I just make a tiny center hole in mine so I could bore them out to the size I wanted)

As I said in my recent thread on my thread dial gears, It took me weeks of research to understand what I was trying to do, and all of 45 minutes to design my gears, look at the gears I designed with the online viewer, and then order my gears from shapeways..

Try measuring the outside diameter of your broken gear and count the # of teeth, then go to my first link and see how much the program fills in the rest of the specifications... You'll be surprised at how easy it is....
ill try the handle gear . see how that goes. then work on the other 2 gears. bein they are 2 gears in one . so 4 gears total. press fit with bronze or brass weld or something for the fit. as i pressed one apart. i may try the nylon for giggles. i just dont under they say no good for the qcgb but yet they are on the gear train from the head to the gearbox. go figure. that cornfuesssss the heck out of me. they good for one not the other .. when they run slower in the qcgb i think.

will.. i did it.... i ordered the nylons.. hope they look good on my legs. joe always said they do .. hahhahahhaa
ill be the guinea pig. hope by end of week we will know.. once and for all hahhahahah
ill paint them silver and roll them in dirt to make them look old and real hahahha

time of post 530pm 3 7 2024...... self note for nylon gears installed in the qcgb...
we shall see how long they last. i think if i treat them with respect. not like the guy who owed the lathe before me lol ..
they may last awhile... not like ill be rippin 80tho off at a clip ..
ill try and get pix.. i put it all togther without pix. grrrr i know ... bad on me

Back