Quick change gearbox disassembly?

Yes, looks like it's the 1500. Called, ordered & rec'd bushings for it. (The sales person at Clausing was quite helpful)
Hmm, minor point I know, but before I go for the big vise-grips (not really), how does one remove those little oilers? Are they just press fit in place? threaded?
Thanks again!
Wes

Usually they are press fit. You can use the vise grips and just buy new ones.

How much were the bushings? I need some but was thinking on just making them myself.

Steve,
They weren't terrible. I ended up buying 15 bushings for $34 plus s/h if I remember right. One p/n was not available, and the big one was gonna be ~$11 so thought I'd try to find a cheaper one locally.. (shoulda just bought it because now I'm without & have to work to find one! :banghead: )
I asked prices for the two main shafts. They would have been ~ $60 & $75, so passed on those. Mine are kinda worn due to the oil hole thing, but will probably re-use them. They'd be an easy part to make with access to a mill..

When I tore mine down I did not see a bushing in there you couldnt find at a menards or a fastenal. But there easy to make on your lathe even if the quick Change is not attached. Ray

I think I now know why the bushings are all worn so badly. After finishing dis-assembling it tonight, I was looking it over. I've been curious about how the oilers work. When looking at the bushing ID's, I noticed there is no hole to allow oil to flow through to the shaft. Am I right, should there be a hole drilled through the bushing? I'm thinking a previous owner at some point replaced the bushings, but failed to drill the oil holes after pressing them in.. :dunno:

The bushings are oil lite bushings. They are porous and do not need nor do you want oil holes drilled in them.

Wes,

Your bushings were probably worn out because a PO never followed the lube instructions. The oilers should be filled either daily or before every use, whichever is longer.

And you definitely do not want to replace any of them with plain brass bushings. You should also avoid buying generic bushings and machining them to fit. The machining process will probably seal the surface and they won't oil properly.

Robert D.

Lets face it Atlas did not have the market cornered on special bronze bushings what they used in the day was very very typical as what you find today just about everywhere. I spent a lifetime making bushings the oil-lite bushing are nothing but cast bronze ( powdered metal bronze ) heated up and quenched in oil when you machine it you can see the oil come out we use to make our own oil-lite bushings some now are just done with 30 weight oil and vacuum.. So you do all your machining before hand and then heat them and quench in oil or put in a container and apply vacuum and let them sit for a while very easy to do.

The surface will never seal because the bushing are cast and are very porous othewise you would not be able to impregnate them with oil ( thats why you have to keep oiling them oil-lite will run dry someday) and if they where not porous the shaft rubbing against them would seal the surface. Most store bought bushing are cast bronze and it is not hard to see the differance between brass and bronze. On the other hand you can use brass just drill your hole and keep it oiled brass is a very good bearing material it will out live you and the machine. Ray

Last edited:
Back