Questions on Rockwell 10" PM 414-02-651-5003 lathe

Cbacres

Registered
Registered
Hi all,new to this world. Got my eye on a Rockwell 10". Went to look at it today and overall looks fine. The bed rails seem to be fine, no excessive wear, check the carriages movement back & forth after slugging down the carriage lock screw and backing off slightly. THe spindle feels tight.
the variable speed works. I downloaded a manual here and read up before looking so I'd have a clue when looking at it. Of course I left it at home. So I wasn't quite armed wih knowledge the way I should of been.
A couple questions: I couldn't get the carriage to feed, the cross carriage was though. The worm gear looked as if it may of been worn. The lead screw was turning. It was likely my lack of knowing the correct sequence. Is the worm gear a big deal cost wise? Are they still available ?
i also could not get the tumblers to move to different position/speed. Any known common problems here?

The lathe needs a good cleaning and lube. The seller is at $ 800.00. Has a 3 & 4 jaw chuck, face plate, two quick change tool holders, live center, drill chuck, hand full of bits.

i didn't have time to really spend on it and need to go back after studying the manual more.

What do you all think? Price too high? Potential problems?

Thanks, look forward to you feedback.

Sounds like not too bad of a deal at first blush. However, if you are planning to refurbish it, you should accept the fact ahead of time that you will spend several times that for the job. It is likely the chucks with the lathe are worth over $200. Does it happen to have a taper attachment or steady rest? Are any knobs missing or is there any apparent damage, like it has been turned over? Can you turn it on, and if so, does it sound smooth or are there a lot of loud gear sounds? If all those things check out, I think I would pay the $800. You can get parts for them. They're just expensive.

Thenrie,
thanks for your reply. Not planning on a refurb, just want to get one and use. I powered it up and it's sounds fine, no noises. The only two things that I'm not sure of I couldn't get the carriage to engage, and also the tumblers didn't move. Most of due to me not knowing exactly what does what. I'll read up in the manual before I go back.
Based o what ice come across, I'm thinking its the best deal for me. I was also looking at a 9" SB for around the same money, but I'm thinking the rockwell is more of a machine.

The Rockwell is definitely a better machine (I have a South Bend 9A and a Delta Rockwell 11), but parts and accessories are far more available for the South Bend. Still, like I said before, you can find anything you need - either that or make it yourself - for the Rockwell. It just takes a little more patience and occasionally a little more money.

Don't try too much with it before reading the manual. Some of those knobs and switches are not meant to be moved while the machine is running. Others are meant to be moved ONLY when the machine is running. You can cause serious damage by moving the wrong thing at the wrong time.

Again, at $800, I think you would do ok. If you can get him to go $700, even better. Don't kid yourself into thinking you won't be spending more money on it to get it into good working condition, though.

By they way, at $800, depending on model, condition, and tooling, a 9" South Bend is a pretty decent buy as well. If it is a 9A (quick change threading gearbox) and has any tooling, such as a steady rest, 3 and 4-jaw chucks, taper attachment, and quick Change tool post, and in good working condition, that would be a very good price.

Back