Questions for career Machinists.

MLB

Registered
Registered
Hello, I'm in the process of applying to college for an associates degree in Machine Tool Technology. The company I was working for closed it's doors and moved to Mexico and I have the option to attend school. One of the forms requires me to ask three different Machinists eight questions about their career. I don't need your name or any contact info but the form does ask for company name and your title. If any career Machinists has five to ten minutes to spare please let me know. I will send a private message with the questions and you can just private message me the answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated as it would be helping me secure my future.

I didn't know they started assigning academic degrees to vocational trades......but I'll help you out.

I'll be glad to help. Spent 25 years operating machines and another 16 years in sales and marketing machining/engineering products and services for the power generation industry. PM me and I will get to it later today.

More than happy to help you out. Just PM me.

"Billy G"

I didn't know they started assigning academic degrees to vocational trades......but I'll help you out.

The last guy that my old company had getting a degree in Machine Tech actually had to work the shop floor for a certain amount of time like an apprentice in order to get his degree.

Hello, I'm in the process of applying to college for an associates degree in Machine Tool Technology. The company I was working for closed it's doors and moved to Mexico and I have the option to attend school. One of the forms requires me to ask three different Machinists eight questions about their career. I don't need your name or any contact info but the form does ask for company name and your title. If any career Machinists has five to ten minutes to spare please let me know. I will send a private message with the questions and you can just private message me the answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated as it would be helping me secure my future.
Good luck on your pursuit! As my dad would frequently say, "they can never take your education from you". College shop programs have evolved a ton over the years and are still changing to meet what industry needs.

Our local community college (Lansing Community College) used to have a very strong shop program back in the 1970's and 1980's. Their machine shop had over 20 lathes, 20 mills, half-dozen surface grinders, etc. and all of the woodworking stuff. Then CNC came into vogue (for good reason) and a lot of the manual machinery was sold off. They converted over to CNC equipment and a degree shifted from probably 3 or 4 classes running a manual lathe to one running both the lathe and mill. Many classes in G-code and programming machines. Pretty much everyone going through the program had a job right out of school.

They just opened a new building with robotics and a welding center with at least 3 dozen Millers. In a recent TV spot showing off the new school I was blown away by their MIG welding simulator. Totally virtual and I'd swear I was looking right at the spark and spatter and hearing the bacon sizzling. The simulator checked quality of welds using 8 or 10 parameters. Easy peasy to make another pass and learn to virtually stack dimes. Then the news anchor ran a real bead, wrote his name on a piece of plate. Penmanship wasn't the greatest, but the welds looked great.

I guess point being, you should be fine for a future job which is the reason you're going to school. Guys and gals out of the LCC program are landing jobs before they graduate. Your old job shutting down make have done you a big favor in the long run.

Bruce

I've sent private messages. Appreciate the kind response. Bruce, our community college also has a shop with modern equipment and several classes for programming the machines. I was surprised to see they had a machine tool technology course and it seemed perfect to get an education along with a valued trade. Hoping to turn this bad situation in my favor.

Back