Questions about “normal wear” items on bridge ports and mills in general in the gear box/spindle

mac1911

Registered
Registered
So I have never been close to a new Mill. Most are 50 years old and all seem “load” but still seem to work .
What in the drive head suffers normal wear ?
What I hear sounds like bearing noise? Maybe a quick guide on checking besrings?

Check out the "Instructional Videos" on this website:

May answer some of your questions.

Ted

There's two different animals- there's the step pulley version and the vari-speed Reeves drive version
Each have their own issues
The horizontal rams can seize up if they are not moved regularly
Then there's the usual wear of the sliding surfaces and dovetails, and wear of the axis screws and nuts
The tables can get bowed like a banana from lots of T-nut usage and overtightening- the table deforms from the torque
over a long period

Last edited:
There's two different animals- there's the step pulley version and the vari-speed Reeves drive version
Each have their own issues
The horizontal rams can seize up if they are not moved regularly
Then there's the usual wear of the sliding surfaces and dovetails, and wear of the axis screws and nuts
The tables can get bowed like a banana from lots of T-nut usage and overtightening- the table deforms from the torque
over a long period
Im focusing on the parts that drive the quill.
When I get eyes on the machine agsin for more details. Sounded Load but I could not find any play
I cant Isolate the noise either
Stand to the left sounds like its on the right. Even stuck a screw driver to the housing in various areas and it all sounds the same.
I wont say it sounds bad but its a bit more than normal to me?

Seems like it must be a vari-speed since I believe when they get worn they can make some pretty bad sounds
I've never used one, only the step pulley version, usually those are quiet
Can you make a video of it with audio?

Variable speed is always noisier than the step pulley type . When you're saying " load " , do you mean loud ?

Seems like it must be a vari-speed since I believe when they get worn they can make some pretty bad sounds
I've never used one, only the step pulley version, usually those are quiet
Can you make a video of it with audio?
When I get back to it , yes.
Just not sure when.

When the BP series 1 heads start going they'll make somewhat of a chattering sound . When they actually go bad that noise will increase , soon to be followed by a big bang . We rebuilt a few heads over the years but these machines ran a minimal 8 hrs a day for many years before needing a rebuild .

Off topic , but the Enco's have the step pulley head and also have a 2 speed motor which I found GREAT ! Quiet machine and usually it could stay on one pulley using the 2 speed motor .

This is high because its offered by a dealer , but they are nice with the 2 speed motor .

When the BP series 1 heads start going they'll make somewhat of a chattering sound . When they actually go bad that noise will increase , soon to be followed by a big bang . We rebuilt a few heads over the years but these machines ran a minimal 8 hrs a day for many years before needing a rebuild .

Off topic , but the Enco's have the step pulley head and also have a 2 speed motor which I found GREAT ! Quiet machine and usually it could stay on one pulley using the 2 speed motor .

This is high because its offered by a dealer , but they are nice with the 2 speed motor .
I have a 100-1527 with a VFD and run it on the 850 RPM pulley and adjust the frequency for speed control.
Only seldom do I use the back gear at all except for maybe for heavy drilling. I opted for the VFD when the
two speed switch bit the dust. So far it's been the perfect solution with infinite speed control.

Back