Question Regarding Motor Mount - Montgomery Wards 84TLC-2130

I currently have a 1/2 HP motor, though if I go to a VFD I'll likely go to a 3/4 HP, though not any larger as I have to replace the motor with a 3-phase unit, anyway.

I think I'll pursue your recommendation and calculate the RPMs with the current pulley arrangment. Appreciate the thought, I hadn't thought of doing that.

Measure the diameters of pulleys and do some math...

That motor pulley looks to be very large.

The spindle should be ball or roller bearing so it should be fine but other bearings not so confirm your rpm is within reasonable range.

The motor may bounce more or struggle with heavy cuts as well.

Check hp of motor too as a too high power with too high rpm is a bit risky...The lathe may break upon operator error instead of slipping or stalling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Look into vfd selections as you need to De - rate for single phase input.

Download the manual for the unit you "think" you want to verify that it will work.

Larger motor will give more torque in the lower rpm so you can better use them at low speed.

Our 14.5 SB has 2 hp motor with 3 hp VFD and we can make it real slow without back gear and it has plenty of torque with flat belt in middle range.

If back gear and slow speed we can go almost stop speed.

You can do same.

Look at motor size as well as pulley size and verify a purchased motor can operate with VFD. Ours is original 1946 ish motor and it works fine fast and slow but we have low time use.

Look into vfd selections as you need to De - rate for single phase input.

Download the manual for the unit you "think" you want to verify that it will work.

Larger motor will give more torque in the lower rpm so you can better use them at low speed.

Our 14.5 SB has 2 hp motor with 3 hp VFD and we can make it real slow without back gear and it has plenty of torque with flat belt in middle range.

If back gear and slow speed we can go almost stop speed.

You can do same.

Look at motor size as well as pulley size and verify a purchased motor can operate with VFD. Ours is original 1946 ish motor and it works fine fast and slow but we have low time use.

Thanks for the advice...

Back