Question on the assemby of TDK-40 rev2.0

maxime.levesque

Registered
Registered
I have a version of the kit older than the one on the instructions on the site:

https://www.touchdro.com/resources/adapters/32-bit/tdk-4x-dro-adapter-kit-manual.html

I have attached a photo of the the board, and connectors (the board as rev. 2.0 and "1.1" written on it).

My question is about the connectors: they appear to be solderless in my kit, they don't have soldering cups while the ones on the site have them.

Is that the case ? Do I just push them in and that's it ?

I am guessing that the brass/gold side goes in the DB9 connector, while the silver side goes on the black "cubic" connector.

I suspect if I knew the proper names of these things, I could find instructions because they are generic components, but I don't know them !

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20240418_224419.jpg
    20240418_224419.jpg
    499.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20240418_214135.jpg
    20240418_214135.jpg
    487.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
They snap in. The gold ones are for the DB9 side and the silver ones for the black connectors. The gold ones snap in in any orientation. You have to orient the silver ones properly. There is a little latch or spine on each of the pins. That goes toward one of the larger faces of the connector and clicks into a molded catch slot in the connector body. You will know you did it right when the thing clicks in and you can't get it out and also the connector pin hole lines up with the centerline of the pin.

BTW, If you do have to move one of the silver pins because you put it in the wrong position, you can push the little barb inward a bit with a needle or similar while pulling it out. Make sure to carefully bend it out again before re-inserting.

I don't know anything about the TDRO itself but know connectors in general.

They snap in. The gold ones are for the DB9 side and the silver ones for the black connectors. The gold ones snap in in any orientation. You have to orient the silver ones properly. There is a little latch or spine on each of the pins. That goes toward one of the larger faces of the connector and clicks into a molded catch slot in the connector body. You will know you did it right when the thing clicks in and you can't get it out and also the connector pin hole lines up with the centerline of the pin.

BTW, If you do have to move one of the silver pins because you put it in the wrong position, you can push the little barb inward a bit with a needle or similar while pulling it out. Make sure to carefully bend it out again before re-inserting.

I don't know anything about the TDRO itself but know connectors in general.
I have a tool that allows for insertion and removal. From the 80s... but as Reddinr said, in both cases, insertion and removal are not hard.

Back