Question On Milling A Slot

One thing to keep in mind, woodruff key cutters do not have side cutting abilities.

Not sure I follow this?

I believe he was referring to the fact that only the head of the cutter has teeth, the shank does not. Thus the only side cutting ability is with the extreme outer diameter of the cutter. I might be wrong, but that is the way I read it. End milling or plunge cutting cannot be done, but you would not need to in your case anyway.

I ordered something very similar, that should arrive today, so I may be able to give this a try this weekend...
I noticed the one you linked to has staggered teeth, the one I ordered appears to just have straight cutters. Most of the t-slot cutters I saw had the staggered tooth configuration. I wonder if staggered teeth help with the cutting in a confined space? My plan is to just take very light cuts, 5-10 thou for each pass, and try to keep the cutter from packing up.

That is why I chose that one. It might be a little better in that application and has some side cutting capability.

One thing to keep in mind, woodruff key cutters do not have side cutting abilities.

My though on this is that the cutter is going to be generating friction on the sides, making heat. Keep it bathed in dark sulfur cutting oil. Not drenched, but enough to carry the heat away. Also avoid RPMs that will throw the oil off. It's going to take a long time on those cuts.

I ordered something very similar, that should arrive today, so I may be able to give this a try this weekend...
I noticed the one you linked to has staggered teeth, the one I ordered appears to just have straight cutters. Most of the t-slot cutters I saw had the staggered tooth configuration. I wonder if staggered teeth help with the cutting in a confined space? My plan is to just take very light cuts, 5-10 thou for each pass, and try to keep the cutter from packing up.
T-Slot cutters and Woodruff key cutters have different purposes as the names imply. T-Slot cutters do not need much accuracy nor finish qualities as they are for producing work holding slots as fast a possible. Key cutting tools are required to produce accurate seats for drive keys therefore end cutting ability would be a drawback.

Question for the group; Would a fly cutter properly ground be advantageous for a first pass then finish with a key cutter?
Ray
It could work, but cutting time would be extended (one tooth cutting instead of 6 or even 8) and the hammering on the spindle is never a really good thing. Having multiple cutting edges in the work keeps the spindle loaded, it's better for your machine, more productive, and quieter running.

My very limited experience cutting t slots and dovetails is watch your sfm so you don't overheat your cutter and use air to keep the chips out of the cut.
Thanks ron

Just wanted to report back that the slots have been successfully cut. I just used many passes at about 10-15 thou per pass, 500RPM, fairly slow feedrate. I did use a little air to clean off the cutter about every 3 inches or so. Once I got into it, it wasn't that bad. Thanks to everyone for the tips!

Back