Question On Milling A Slot

Nice to hear. It is always good when a plan comes together.:beer mugs:

I just ran a keyseat cutter to make a t slot on a block of steel to run my mill as a cnc lathe, it was to hold the t nut of my tool post, the first pass had the cutter engaged on both the left and right about .300 on each side or more, cant remember, I used air and a little oil to clear chips. about 3 inches of cut, its still feels sharp as new, but it was not a fun cut to make, it was like parting, i had to maintain perfect feed or tool pressure or it would get all squealy on me. I ran about 300 rpm, maybe .75 inch/min

Keep it bathed in dark sulfur cutting oil. Not drenched, but enough to carry the heat away. Also avoid RPMs that will throw the oil off. It's going to take a long time on those cuts.
waterbased coolant would do better to get the heat out, it absorbs heat better than oil, for real heavy cutting, oil is the better choice, just an fyi from Niagara cutter

Oil based cutting fluid transfers heat from the cutting tool to the body of metal. I'm afraid that water would boil away before it transferred sufficient heat to be useful. I could be argued that boiling the water away would remove heat from the cutter, but with the water gone, it would heat the cutter.

Go to niagara cutting tools website and read some of there docs, I'm sure they don't say that stuff for no reason

Back