Question on Files Storage

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
I bought some used files on Ebay and paid too much. They are old Nicholson Black Diamond made in USA and still have some life in them. Paid $160 for 18 assorted.
Here they are:

014.jpg

Question: How should I store them in the shop for efficient use and storage?

Thanks.

Nelson

014.jpg

Of a FILE Cabinet!!! big one hold 4 drawers of files, 2 smaller ones have been modified to hold them, one on left is die filer files and right on is assorted riffler files and diamond coated types. A thin packing foam sheet keeps them from moving around and dulling themselves.

machineshop11.jpg

Like all cutting tools you should store them any way that is convenient as long as they aren't allowed to bang/rub together.

I ignore this sound advice and keep mine in a drawer. In my own defense the drawer isn't ever jerked or slammed since it is roller glides and smooth to operate. Once again I can be held up as a bad example. :shush:

Steve

The scrap yard that I live next to, has some what appears to be in almost new condition file cabinets, two of them have the keys for the lock. I am thinking about seeing what I can get one of them for, just to have a place to store tools.

Doc

I have some where in the neighborhood of 80+ files, not counting swiss needle files. Every file has a cereal box cardboard cover. Anal?, not to me.

Here is what I did. The 'T' bar is from an old Sears (Chamberlin) garage door opener. It holds the golf balls (or normal file handles) with out letting them bump together. This rack holds a touch over 50 files. Later I labeled each slot as to 'flat' 'round' '1/2 round' etc.

I did it a couple of years ago and I have no problems with it.

files_012.jpg

files_012.jpg

I love that file storage rack, and I just happen to have a length of T bar like that laying in the garage. I sense a new project coming up!

I never gave much thought it. I've been throwing them in my tool bag with my other tools for years. Maybe they would last longer if I didn't do that.

The real problem is the nicks and burrs raised by improper storage leave a mark every stroke you take with that file.

Back