Question on Code & Romex Staples

Op, you are in Mason County, which is even more backwoods than us next door in Kitsap. I passed my Kitsap electrical inspection for my shop using the metallic staples with the little scrap of useless plastic installed across the bridge. It's what Lowe's had, so it's what I used. Kitsap electrical code simply adopts the current NEMA handbook. Go off that, and you should be fine. Hell, in Mason you might not even have an inspection... or even a permit to begin with, right?

Are the staples required to be insulated? Having a new shop built in WA state and was surprised to see un-insulated staples.

TIA
Ron

NEC makes no mention or requirement of insulating staples for NM cable (Romex). Further, it makes no mention that said staples even be a listed product. Of course if it is listed, it must be used in complete agreement with it's listing, but it need not be listed.

That's NEC however. Local laws vary a lot. The whole east coast of the US (at least the part North enough to have basements) is bound by some unspoken agreement that if we ALL wire our basements with romex stapled to the sill plate, they can't come after us all.... Anywhere else they call that unprotected........ So local customs ("the way it's done around here") is probably one of dozens or more ways of complying with the code, but it just sorts it's self out to a common way, stores stock common hardware, electricians know just what to do when they look at a project, inspectors can just check the boxes and don't have to drag out the good book for every box and fixture in the building....

Personal opinion... It's a staple. It's going into wood. If the cable is not damaged during the installation, is snug under the staple, and supported often enough.... (They're usually supported more than necessary for aesthetics if they're exposed), then job done. If the cable were to get hooked on something (then it's unprotected, but I digress....), if it got reefed on enough to damage the cable and contact one wire, you still don't care. It needs replacement if it's damaged, even if there's no "symptom". If it touches two wires, that's what breakers are for, and what they excel at. Instant snap, no heat, no fires, no nothing... Everything works as it should. And the wire needs new either way. I wouldn't loose any sleep over it at all. Well, I'd loose sleep over exposed getting pulled on in the first place. There's a couple of annoying rules to it, but conduit is your friend in a working area. Under a wall though.... No worries.

Again thanks and an "Ah ha." All my previous home ownership was on the east coast.

It's been interesting talking to the electrician who also wired the house. I was a little surprised they didn't complain when I told them a 1" variance in box height was unacceptable. Me: First time I've seen a dual 15A CB. ANS: We lost one of the neutrals so we wired in the one we could find into the dual. OK. . . . 27 recepticals on one circuit including the home office where one might expect a high start up draw from a laser printer? Spec house. Do it as cheaply as possible. Asked how the wire was run. Simple pull to isolate the office with a second run to new junction box. Getting the estimate. Already tired of dimming lights when the printer comes on line. If it's insane I'll pull the permit myself.

Call your LOCAL inspector and ask them.

No need for insulation as the romex is additional layer to inside wire.

But some places may require it.

I believe it is for better holding and hot really insulation

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
The locals will do a walk through inspection, and these guys wired the house, so I expect they know what they can get away with. Like a site made cable clamp. Can't learn if ya don't ask, appreciate all the responses.

20220913_172809.jpg

Op, you are in Mason County, which is even more backwoods than us next door in Kitsap. I passed my Kitsap electrical inspection for my shop using the metallic staples with the little scrap of useless plastic installed across the bridge. It's what Lowe's had, so it's what I used. Kitsap electrical code simply adopts the current NEMA handbook. Go off that, and you should be fine. Hell, in Mason you might not even have an inspection... or even a permit to begin with, right?
City of Shelton, need permits up the wazoo, for the homeowner there is a formula based on the length of the run(s), # of receptacles, etc. And the plans, etc. And a big warning about after the fact. Can't even legally pull LAN cable without a permit. You don't want to know about learning the neighborhood has a cluster box, no room in it for the new house, go get a PO Box have a nice day. I'm still fighting over a permit to put up a regular mail box adjacent to the cluster box unit. Told the builder I'd of happily paid an extra $5k for the house to have been wired with LAN. Mentioned that to the electrician. He rolled his eyes and said they couldn't convince the builder to run it when they did coax to every room.

NEC makes no mention or requirement of insulating staples for NM cable (Romex). Further, it makes no mention that said staples even be a listed product. Of course if it is listed, it must be used in complete agreement with it's listing, but it need not be listed.

That's NEC however. Local laws vary a lot. The whole east coast of the US (at least the part North enough to have basements) is bound by some unspoken agreement that if we ALL wire our basements with romex stapled to the sill plate, they can't come after us all.... Anywhere else they call that unprotected........ So local customs ("the way it's done around here") is probably one of dozens or more ways of complying with the code, but it just sorts it's self out to a common way, stores stock common hardware, electricians know just what to do when they look at a project, inspectors can just check the boxes and don't have to drag out the good book for every box and fixture in the building....

Personal opinion... It's a staple. It's going into wood. If the cable is not damaged during the installation, is snug under the staple, and supported often enough.... (They're usually supported more than necessary for aesthetics if they're exposed), then job done. If the cable were to get hooked on something (then it's unprotected, but I digress....), if it got reefed on enough to damage the cable and contact one wire, you still don't care. It needs replacement if it's damaged, even if there's no "symptom". If it touches two wires, that's what breakers are for, and what they excel at. Instant snap, no heat, no fires, no nothing... Everything works as it should. And the wire needs new either way. I wouldn't loose any sleep over it at all. Well, I'd loose sleep over exposed getting pulled on in the first place. There's a couple of annoying rules to it, but conduit is your friend in a working area. Under a wall though.... No worries.
Forgot about the plumbing in my NE house. Dude drilled through 12 joists rather than solder in a ~6" offset. I figured he didn't have any tape or screws on the truck and didn't want to make a trip. Or just liked to drill holes.

Yes, because coax is so important these days with wireless...:confused:
:rolleyes:
We are both full time teleworkers. The house has an office in the front I use where the ISP enters the house. My partner uses a bedroom in the back literally 60+ feet away. So the access points are all dasy-chained. Yes, I know the wifi isn't the choke point, but they are just one more link to manage. And when she has a problem, I'm the trouble shooter.

Back