Question on buying this surface grinder

Ive got my vfd in hand! Im going to start looking it over a little bit. Now can i make my own enclosure for this from like a 3d printer to keep it protected a little bit. My next question is can i just wire 220 from my electrical panel to the vfd and then wire straight to the motor. I dont need all of the extra stuff that is in the book.

Ive got my vfd in hand! Im going to start looking it over a little bit. Now can i make my own enclosure for this from like a 3d printer to keep it protected a little bit. My next question is can i just wire 220 from my electrical panel to the vfd and then wire straight to the motor. I dont need all of the extra stuff that is in the book.
Which VFD did you get?
That's how I did mine... I had 120v power so I just wired it to a plug for input power and then connected the three wires from the motor to the VFD. If the spindle turns the wrong direction swap any two of the motor wires.

If I recall correctly I think I only set the maximum frequency to 60hz so that there was no way to over speed the wheel. Other than that I didn’t change any settings.

This is all new to me and i am far from good with electrical. Id pay someone to program it lol. All i would like is for it to run correctly and have a good 30 second slow start.

Too bad this wasn’t a few days ago, I drove through Port Jervis on Monday on my way home from my niece’s wedding.

30 seconds is a really long ramp up time for a small motor, is there a particular reason you want that? The Teco VFDs are easy to program, the only really important parameters are motor settings for rpm, hp, and amps so it runs properly. If you want to use the grinder push buttons for control, then you will need to wire them to the inputs on the VFD and change the program to look for them for the run and stop signals. Or, you can leave as is and use the VFD panel for starting and stopping. Which Teco did you get?

Too bad this wasn’t a few days ago, I drove through Port Jervis on Monday on my way home from my niece’s wedding.

30 seconds is a really long ramp up time for a small motor, is there a particular reason you want that? The Teco VFDs are easy to program, the only really important parameters are motor settings for rpm, hp, and amps so it runs properly. If you want to use the grinder push buttons for control, then you will need to wire them to the inputs on the VFD and change the program to look for them for the run and stop signals. Or, you can leave as is and use the VFD panel for starting and stopping. Which Teco did you get?
Thanks for the offer! I wont get to wiring prob for 2 weeks atleast. I promised the wife to do stuff in her office. I got the Teco, L510-201-H1-U. I just figured 30 seconds was a good wind up is all. I am fine with using the vfd as the on and off. I just have to have it at a good spot to reach. It is a 1HP motor

0-5 seconds would be my range. There isn't much mass to the wheel and no need to ramp up. Braking will be nice. My wheel runs about a minute after power is shut off and that can be dangerous. Dave

I have the L510 on my mill, it has been great. A couple seconds is plenty for starting the motor, you are going to go crazy waiting for it to spool up at 30 seconds. These motors were designed for a full power start, so anything less than that is fine. I think I have my mill set for 1 or 2 seconds and that has more inertia than your grinder.

Beckerkumm brings up a good point about how long it takes to come to a stop, my lathe and mill only take a few seconds to coast to stop, so with the grinder you might want add in a deceleration time to bring it to a stop quicker. You don’t want to make it too quick otherwise the wheel might unscrew itself.

Thanks for the offer! I wont get to wiring prob for 2 weeks atleast. I promised the wife to do stuff in her office. I got the Teco, L510-201-H1-U. I just figured 30 seconds was a good wind up is all. I am fine with using the vfd as the on and off

Back