Question on Atlas lathe endmill holder...

No need to use tool steel , they are just bushings . If you do harden them , and they spin , it'll wipe out your original arbor . I would go with something soft . JMO . :)

Thanks. I just picked up a 3 ft. length of cold rolled 5/8" diameter steel from Tractor Supply while I was out earlier

@epanzella,​

reducing bushings in 1/16" increments down to 1/4". They were NOT intended for use with Weldon style cutter shanks. As I discovered the hard way.

First, I haven't actually looked for any MT equipped cutter holders threaded for draw bar as I already have two of the Atlas holders and bushing sets (had three sets until I ruined one set). I merely wanted to warn of the consequences of not using a draw bar to secure holders in spindles (applies to lathes and mills, both vertical and horizontal). I don't recall where I acquired the tanged holders but I must have nearly a dozen of them.

Second, you can use Weldon style cutters with the reducing bushings if they have 1/2" dia. shanks as you won't for this diameter use a reducing bushing. But you will probably need to use a longer set screw.

Third, you can also use them with smaller diameter shanks and factory style reducing bushings but you will have to rotate the cutter 180 degrees and pretend that they have plain shanks. I should have done that.

Back