question for 10x22 owners?

blaser.306

Active User
Registered
My question is to deal with the change gears and how "stuck" they should be on the center shaft? The lathe that I have is the kc1022ml, as far as I can tell it is the same machine as both the grizzly and busy bee 10x22. I tried to set up to practice some threading and the gears in the centeral position feel like they are welded not only together , but to the sleeve as well:thinking:. My request is, how do I go about changing the stuck gear without killing my lathe? Thanks in advance.

Carefully.

But seriously, after checking to make sure that you haven't missed a set screw somewhere, a good penetrating oil should be your first step. I prefer PB Blaster, usually found everywhere. Apply liberally, tap lightly, apply again, and let it sit for 5-10 mins. The CAREFULLY use a gear puller, or wedge to remove the gears. I feel that a wedge behind the gears stand less chance of damaging it, especially the teeth on plastic gears, but that is my opinion. Whatever you do, do it carefully!

Good luck!

-Cody

There could possibly be a woodruf (sp?) key which is crescent-shaped on the shaft. A gear puller is preferable because it contains the forces to just the gear and the shaft its on without tugging on the whole shaft and possibly putting pressure on a bearing somewhere. If you don't have a gear puller, you could take two claw-type prybars and carefully try to persuade it off. Use only reasonable force and if that doesn't work, I'd make or invest in a gear puller.

EDIT: BTW, a woodruf key is just like any other slotted key. It doesn't come out until the gear is removed.

Ray

I just went through this the other day on my G0602 Grizzly 10 X 22. I used a small 90 degree pic to gently pry the gears apart by going all the way around the gears, they are really tight on the bushing, the bushing and key on mine are one piece. The good news is after the first time apart it is easier to change the gears.

Back