Question about tool holding?

blaser.306

Active User
Registered
I am verry new to mill operation, So new my mill hasn't been delivered yet! My question is for holding end mills in the spindle, I plan on doing lots of shallow cuts instead of one hogging pass. The mill I ordered is a G0704. My question is , can I use R-8 collets for tool holding . Or should I be buying R-8 end mill holders for the task. Thanks in advance from a Mill virgin.

I would start out with the R8's for the work you describe. My experience with ER40 collets is that with up to ~ 5/8" end mills and moderate cuts - no problem. However with larger mills and heavier cut the mill will be slowly pulled out of the collet. For that reason I don't use collets for larger end mills, instead I use a holder which secures the mill with a set screw.
Hope this helps and have fun with the new mill,
Michael

I am verry new to mill operation, So new my mill hasn't been delivered yet! My question is for holding end mills in the spindle, I plan on doing lots of shallow cuts instead of one hogging pass. The mill I ordered is a G0704. My question is , can I use R-8 collets for tool holding . Or should I be buying R-8 end mill holders for the task. Thanks in advance from a Mill virgin.
For the G0704 a lot owners go for the TTS(Tormach) tooling holders I have a full set along with some TTS ER25 collets holders. I have less than .0003 TIR with them on the stock spindle. You can also get R8 ER collet holders. If you plan to do a CNC conversion then no question, Tormach.
CH

The mill I ordered is a G0704. My question is , can I use R-8 collets for tool holding.

ABSOLUTELY. I have both R8 collets and end mlll holders in all sizes, and I use the end mill holders so rarely that I can't remember the last time.

ABSOLUTELY. I have both R8 collets and end mlll holders in all sizes, and I use the end mill holders so rarely that I can't remember the last time.

I, on the other hand, am the exact opposite. I almost exclusively use end mill holders and only revert to collets when I have to use an odd size end mill.

There are pluses and minuses with both setups. Collets can be prone to having you end mill pull out (or push in) or spin in the collet depending on the cuts you are trying to make, how good your collets are, and your attention to detail. End mill holders can be less accurate than collets and also take up more vertical space.

It comes down to what you are going to be doing on the mill as to which is really "better".

-Ron

Thanks for the replies. I Have decided to start off with all of the more common sized R-8 colletts and work my way up to a full set as well as a set of end mill holders after a while. When I am in the learning and puttering stages , I am not planning on making heavy cuts , At least till I get a feel for the machine and what it and I are capable of! The last thing I need to do is destroy gears and or bearings or me for that matter. So Colletts it is . Thanks again for the input. 3 days and counting on the truck!

Collets you will need a full set... End mill holders you really only need a few sizes (if that) for removing bulk material. a 3/4 end mill holder is probably all you would really need for a machine that size. Any smaller of a cutter you wount be going crazy with anyhow and any larger the machine is going to walk itself across your shop floor while making the noises of a harbor seal at mating time.

After spinning 3/4" end mill in the collet, I now use end mill holder.

My 2 cents worth.

Back