Question about coolant use with horizontal rotary table

TIB

Registered
Registered
I reciently purchased a Phase II Horizontal Rotary table. When using coolant, the oil level sight guage shows that coolant has gotten into the table's oil reservoir. I called Enco and they contacted Phase II and said this was normal. This is a Horizontal table, and the parts diagram does not show a seal. However the documentation references use with coolant, but does not say that the coolant will find it's way to the oil reservoir.

Does this sound right? Won't the coolant be hard on the internals of the table? Would appreciate any insight into the situation.

Thanks,
Tom

It's always an ideal goal to keep oils and coolant separate. As long as the coolant doesn't stay inside it forever, it won't hurt it.

Some milling jobs would have the table flooded with coolant non-stop, never really hurt the machines.

Like anything else, give every surface a good cleaning; and lube when you are finished.

I've got a 10" and as long as you keep the oil up in the sight gage is should be alright. You can always open the fill hole and drain once in a while and refill. If it's gonna sit for a long time might be a good idea. Like Metalman says clean it up each time helps. A matter of choice, I use a spray mist attached to the spindle which works well for me but I don't do any hogging and wipe it down after.
dickr

Back