Queen City Shaper for sale - hmmmmm?

Well, I got some good news today (Hope it's good news anyway.) the person selling the shaper, and other stuff, says that he has a forklift to move the machine(s) with and it should be no trouble. If this shaper is THAT big I may have to get a trailer as my truck's stated payload is only 3120 lbs. You'd have to lift it about 4' to get it into the bed as well, yikes! That could get real exciting real quick.

Since he is going to provide the forklift I don't think I'll even dicker with him on the price. I will maybe see if I can get him to "throw in" some other hardware, for a nominal fee, if it looks good. Aaah, who am I kidding, it ALL looks good. :biggrin: I'll keep repeating, "I don't need to bring it all home, I don't need to bring it all home, ....."

-Ron

I'll keep repeating, "I don't need to bring it all home, I don't need to bring it all home, ....."

-Ron

You will hate yourself the morning after if you don't bring some of the other home!

At least yours is an apparenty short trip. I bought my shaper in Maine and hauled it to Tennessee. The seller tried to sell me a big old horizontal mill also but I say no.

Benny
In middle Tennessee, USA

Going to pick it up on Thursday. The seller claims it's not "too big" and doesn't think we should have any trouble putting it in the bed of my truck. Hmmm, I'm taking his word on that. Good thing my truck is still under warranty. :biggrin: That will limit what I bring home at least. :p Hey! That almost sounds like my wife had a hand in this.... :huh: :biggrin:

Should be real interesting,

-Ron

Ron,
Anything you buy now but dont have room for, I'm happy to store for you. You cover the shipping to my shed, it can stay there for as long as 'till its needed.

Cheers Phil

Going to pick it up on Thursday. The seller claims it's not "too big" and doesn't think we should have any trouble putting it in the bed of my truck. Hmmm, I'm taking his word on that. Good thing my truck is still under warranty. :biggrin: That will limit what I bring home at least. :p Hey! That almost sounds like my wife had a hand in this.... :huh: :biggrin:

Should be real interesting,

-Ron

Pay for the mill and go back and get it later, You know you have been wanting one!!:biggrin: And if-n the load looks like to much on your pickup don't try to haul it anyway. If it is ok make DARN sure you SECURE it good.

Paul

Hello Ron,
Gentle reminder though,
If you don't end up buying the other machines at least a photo or two might be nice, just for us to see, who knows there might be something there that is irresistable to one of our other members.
Best Regards
Rick

I'll definitely be taking the camera with me as I have no idea just what this guy all has. I have the approximate location (supposed to call tomorrow for directions before I leave) and it's basically in the middle of nowhere.

Ron,
Anything you buy now but dont have room for, I'm happy to store for you. You cover the shipping to my shed, it can stay there for as long as 'till its needed.

Cheers Phil

That almost brings a tear to my eye, you guys are just so thoughtful. :p:biggrin:

Pay for the mill and go back and get it later, You know you have been wanting one!!:biggrin: And if-n the load looks like to much on your pickup don't try to haul it anyway. If it is ok make DARN sure you SECURE it good.

Paul

Yeah, I've been going back and forth about the mill. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be what I am looking for but I really have no idea what it even is. I will be taking some extra cash with me "just in case". Oh, and thanks for the the reminder to secure everything, I'll make sure my ratchet straps are in the truck as soon as I post this. :thumbzup:

-Ron

Okay guys, my "plans" didn't quite go as I had hoped so this has turned into a small ongoing saga. I blame you guys! :p :biggrin: First of all, I did get the Queen City shaper and it takes up over half of the bed in my full-size pickup.

Here's a shot of "loading" up the shaper, his "lift" was a John Deere. Worked for me! :biggrin:

Secondly, there was this poor little machine by the name of Le Blond just standing there looking at me with those "puppy dog eyes". I couldn't take it so I gave a quick offer to the owner, he said, "yes", and we loaded it in the back of the truck with the shaper. This does lead me to one little question though, just what exactly did I just buy? It looks kind of useful anyway (and has some "tooling" in the cabinet)...

Now for where the "plan" really went "off track". On the way back to my office I had planned to pick up a 2-ton folding shop crane from the local HF (Really cheap, hard to justify something else). Once I was at the HF I was told that they were out of stock on those and didn't know when they would have more. %#*&@$% and drat! Not sure what I'm going to do at this point, probably call one of the rental places and see if they have something sufficient to get the job done. It kills me though as I would rather spend the money and buy a crane and have another useful "tool" instead of throwing it away on a rental and have nothing to show for it (and still have to buy the crane at some point).

Because I know someone will ask, the original deal was $250 for the QC shaper. Standing out in the 13 degree F weather, the guy (great to work with by the way) had his tractor all ready, so I offered him another $100 for the LeBlond and we had a deal. :cool:

I do feel bad about leaving the other machines behind, especially the Cincinnati laghe and the big surface grinder. The horizontal mill wouldn't be too bad either but I just don't have the extra room for this stuff right now. I told the owner that I would pass on pics of these machines to anyone interested. They are located just a few miles from Herman, NE and if you would be interested in giving the guy a call just PM me and I'll give you his number. I'd love to see someone rescue the rest of these.

I only go one shot of the Cinci but it looks complete, including the taper attachment. What a machine! This thing looks rock solid. Sorry, camera battery died, think it was the 12 degrees out. :(

The horizontal mill...

Finally, the surface grinder...

Just let me know if you guys want the number for these. You know you want them. ;) I'll probably do a post in the "for sale" section for these when I get some time tonight.

-Ron

Ron,

I believe that Leblond you got is a cylindrical grinder, not sure if that is the proper term but it's used for grinding shafts and other types of, ah, cylinders. ;)
I may be wrong about that Leblond but that's what it looks like to me. I'm sure the experts will chime in and correct me.

Ed

The LeBlond is a tool & cutter grinder. It's missing some of the tool holding attachments, but nothing that can't be replaced with something a bit nicer (think Weldon air spindle.)

Interesting. Those were my top two guesses, either a cylinder grinder or some kind of tool grinder. I'm happy, I did good. :phew:

Paddy, there is a bunch of loose tooling in the LeBlond's base/cabinet. I haven't really had a chance to look in there and see what it amounts to. Right now is in the single digits outside and the grinder is still in the back of my pickup in the driveway. :p

It's time to start doing some research to see if I can find enough info to aid in bringing these machines back to life.

-Ron

Rick,

Good buy on both accounts. Weren't you just whining the other day about there being no equipment available in Nebraska?

I love restoring old equipment like that. The tool and cutter grinder will be very unique when you get it cleaned up and painted. Did you get a vise with the shaper?

Tom

Hello All,
The beauty of a tool and cutter grinder is that you can use it as a surface, cylindrical or pretty much any other form of grinder, I had a friend that made both a cam and gear grinding attachments for his, it all depends on the fixtures you bolt to the table, ideally it will have a pair of "tailstocks/centers" in that pile of bits as these are invaluable and probably bespoke due to that tapered tee slot, you can work on all manner of arbour mounted pieces when you have the centers, also dont forget that everything you use on a mill can be fitted to the table, so indexers, vices and angle plates are a given,
Best Regards
Rick

That'll be great then as I can justify buying more tools because they'll be "dual use" for when I do get a mill. :biggrin:

Rick,

Good buy on both accounts. Weren't you just whining the other day about there being no equipment available in Nebraska?

I love restoring old equipment like that. The tool and cutter grinder will be very unique when you get it cleaned up and painted. Did you get a vise with the shaper?

Tom

Hey, I don't "whine" I just complain loudly. :p:biggrin: These are still not the kinds of machines I am looking for but they were just cool as heck and really needed a new home. Oddly enough though a BP did show up on CL the other day but it had a variable speed head on it. While this is the first BP I've seen on there for a couple of years it still wasn't quite what I wanted. That's the problem with their rarity, the chances are that "what I want" will never show up (at least not till after I've bought one for twice the amount :p) and a person is almost forced to "make due" with what does. The stuff that I stumbled on to is a true rarity. Pretty much sounds like the "owner" was one of us. The story is there were two brothers who owned and worked this farm up by Herman, NE. The one brother was in to finding/fixing old machines to use on repairs for the farm equipment. They traveled quite a bit to find these machines. A few years ago that brother contracted cancer and passed away. I bought the machines from the surviving brother who decided to move these out because he needs the space.

Sorry, bit of a story there,

-Ron

Back