Quality used versus new inexpensive boring heads

A quality option is Soba (India), from Chronos in the UK. I have the 38mm one which I use on a Taig lathe. The tool is extremely well made. No slop, no rough edges.
Check on how much shipping is, and then fill up the weight to spread the shipping cost.

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Boring_Heads_R8.html

Gerrit

Bought one of the Asian brands several years ago after buying a "used and badly abused" Criterion one.

First thing I did was take it apart and check the fit of the slide. It had several spots that "bumped" and didn't feel right. Took my honing stone and some paint thinner and started stoning the surfaces. They are semi hard, not as hard as those on a Criterion, but ok for me. Once I did that, blued the surfaces, all looked good. Put it back together, and years later, still holding up. Like one mentioned, I need to change out those cheesy set screws with better made ones.

I bought the shars set. Used it once. Never again.

Bought a used Criterion after that. U

se the shars to weight my tool box down now. I do use the boring bars that came with the set.

Ultimately, it was difficult to adjust under .002". Otherwise it was fine.

To me fair, I found the Criterion as a deal I could not pass up which is why the Shars was used only once but it would have been replaced anyways.

Back