QMT High Precision Adjustable ER-40 ER Collet Chucks and 5C chucks in D1-4 and D1-5

I oftentimes need to chuck up short(er) pieces, and sometimes shorter pieces of varying diameters along it's length.

My 8" PB set-tru has very long two-piece jaws/master jaws which makes this difficult. I have a ER32 collet chuck that I can grab with my 3-jaw and adjust it for near zero TIR, but I have 'discovered' that ER collets don't hold real short pieces very well. And I don't like having to deal with the nut either.

I have PM's set-tru 5C collet chuck and it works great when I'm working with a piece that fits in my limited collet set. Which isn't very often unfortunately.

I've been waiting for some time for PM to get the larger 5C set in, and just ordered it. The limited clamping range (.003"?) of the 5C collets means that I will run into parts that don't fit well, even with the 72 piece set, but in some cases I can shim the part if it's close. Or I can haul out the big honkin PB.

I have a 8" four jaw, but I don't use it much.

The older I get, the more I wish I'd gotten a 6" PB 3-jaw instead of the 8" though. This thing is getting heavier every year. ;)

This thing is getting heavier every year.
Don't I know it! I've got an 8" rotary table that I'd often like to leave the 8" chuck mounted to. But the combo is too heavy for me. May have to make a Mr. Pete crane.
1622489913029.png

I hear you. I have a little 6" RT for that very reason.

If I could find someone with a 6" set true of a comparable quality looking for a 8" I'd do an even swap. ;)

I have a 6”, an 8” and a 10” rotary table, with a chuck mounted on them, the main reason, I modified a Harbor Freight pick up truck jib crane and mounted it directly to the column of the Franken-Mill (1940 Brigeport/1986 mill/drill (RF-31) combo). Too much weight to lift....

2C88770D-9231-46A9-90AD-BFB8E4CBA9AE.jpeg

I have a PM ER40 collet chuck on the way along with some collets and their R8-ER40 holder. I also have a set of collet blocks and will be getting a MT3-ER40 holder as well. I will be using the MT3 mainly to power tap in the lathe with a tapping collet.

I have a job that these will make OP2 in the lathe and OP3 in the mill so much easier.

I've been using the ER40 chuck for a few months now with a Maritool Collet Nut. I find myself using it more than the 3 jaw. My only complaint is no wrench flat to hold the chuck while tightening or loosing the collet nut. I'm thinking of putting one on the threads under the nut but haven't decided yet if I will or not. That would take a pretty long endmill to clear the shoulder.

Any way, I think I have it dialed in close enough. I had to make two screws with #5-40 threads on one end and #6-40 on the other. The hex is 1/4" and the straight shaft .177" and are by far the smallest parts I have made.

The other is a rock adapter for a die grinder. Whether it will last or not, I don't know. 5/8-11 thread to 1/4" shaft out of 4140.

I'm really liking this chuck along with the collet blocks for the mill.

That scratch on my work bench is bugging me.

Attachments

• 20211206_221153.jpg
    20211206_221153.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 20211227_231319.jpg
    20211227_231319.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 20211227_232358.jpg
    20211227_232358.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 20211227_233441.jpg
    20211227_233441.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
I use my chuck key and put in one of the D1-4 locks when I need to loosen/tighten collet nut. Not sure what chuck you have, so maybe not possible for you.

I use my chuck key and put in one of the D1-4 locks when I need to loosen/tighten collet nut. Not sure what chuck you have, so maybe not possible for you.
Ditto.

I do the same but it seems like I'm always one second away from smashing my knuckles. Perhaps I need to make a longer handle to fit in the square to clear the machine more. Second thought, that sounds easier than putting flats on the chuck.

I think I have used the 3 jaw once in the last 3 months. I think the ER40 system is one of the best tools I have bought.

Yes, I built a replacement chuck key that is 7.25" long out of 7/8" O1 drill rod. Fits all chucks and so much nicer up out of the way.

Back