Qctp Question

I have a Dorian BXA that I am putting on a 13" swing lathe and it has two pins that go into the t-nut. This I assume is to keep the tool post from twisting under load on heavier cuts, but is it really necessary on a 13" lathe? Reason I ask is that I cannot set to 29.5 (or any other angle for that matter) while it's pinned and I really don't want to have to remove the tool post (to remove the pins) to set an angle. Opinions welcome. :)
Take out the pins then use Red Loctite on the threads into the tool post T-nut

They use those QCTP on some CNC lathes Bill which can apply quite a lot of force, hence the video I posted recently of a QCTP twisting during a heavy cut and ripping the chuck off the lathe sending it flying at the operator's head. This whole 30 degree stuff I'm beginning to scoff at that. Sure if the ways and screws are sloppy. CNC lathes go straight at it and have no problem turning nice threads. I may just pin my QCTP and set it square.
Actually most controls have an approach angle setting in the canned thread cycle, the lathes that I have used default to 29.5 Deg., some have the option of cutting the left and right thread flanks alternately.

I have been threading on manual lathes for 30 years and have never used the compound other then for multiple start threads.

Back