QCTP OXA for Atlas 618 - Handle Slop

JRT

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Do any of you have one of these and if so, is this slop normal? I tried adjusting the spanner nut but was unsuccessful in eliminating the slop/play in the handle. Here is a quick video of me tightening it and then demonstrating the play that is still present even when the tool holder is tightened. Thanks. -John

View attachment QCTP.mov

That's pretty sloppy, but doesn't seem to affect the wedges. Some of the slop can be taken out by tightening the top nut (below the fixing nut for the post). That's probably all you can do without re-making parts to a tighter tolerance, starting with the cam sleeve, which is the source of the radial play between lock and disengagement.

Reactions: JRT
I have a similar, Chinese tool post on my 8" Monarch Jr. lathe, it's sloppy like yours, but it does not seem to effect accuracy or operation.

Yeah, it doesn't effect anything, thankfully. Thanks guys. -John

John - Be thankful your toolholders fit your toolpost. I replaced my Atlas lantern toolpost with an inexpensive Chinese QCTP set, and not one of the 9 toolholders would fit down over the wedges of the toolpost. It was a major effort with grinding stones to get 7 of them to finally be usable. The remaining two toolholders went ---> dumpster.

-Marty-

I guess with all this “affordable” import stuff we have to just accept this as the “norm” these days or figure out how to improve it ourselves.

I have the 0XA , like yours and it has the same slop . I snug the handle to the left so it stays put and then I don't touch it . Also the screw that holds the blade in the part off holder in mine didn't last long , I got a replacement from Little Machine Shop . That one is better quality and is holding up .
Mark .

Back