QCTP Install Problem

Is the AXA tool post the right size? I believe the OXA tool post uses an M10 bolt.

Well it wasn’t pretty but it’s on there. Drilled and tapped an M8 in the M14 and then turned the M10 to cut an M8 thread. Thanks everyone for your help. View attachment 474962
I really like the QCTP on my smithy.
Im very new to this and have very little “scrap” on hand
After spending about $25 on shim stock and feeler gauges to get my old tool post set up and shimmed to height I was mad at myself for not just applying that $25 to the QCTP and tool holders.
Only plus is I have 2 4 tool tool posts set up and can easily return them to the machine if needed.
They are set up with the inexpensive welded carbide tips that came with the machine.
I figure I can use them for rough cutting and digging through scale.

I really like the QCTP on my smithy.
Im very new to this and have very little “scrap” on hand
After spending about $25 on shim stock and feeler gauges to get my old tool post set up and shimmed to height I was mad at myself for not just applying that $25 to the QCTP and tool holders.
Only plus is I have 2 4 tool tool posts set up and can easily return them to the machine if needed.
They are set up with the inexpensive welded carbide tips that came with the machine.
I figure I can use them for rough cutting and digging through scale.
Well done, you'll always find a use for the shims and feelers, something every workshop should always have.

Let us know with pictures how you go with your first turning jobs. Your right with using the inexpensive welded carbids for removing scale, and some roughing work. You will have to grind them as with HSS and you need a special grinding wheel, I think it's silicon carbide, a green wheel, only for carbide tooling not for HSS or anything else. Best wheel for HSS is Al Oxide

Well done, you'll always find a use for the shims and feelers, something every workshop should always have.

Let us know with pictures how you go with your first turning jobs. Your right with using the inexpensive welded carbids for removing scale, and some roughing work. You will have to grind them as with HSS and you need a special grinding wheel, I think it's silicon carbide, a green wheel, only for carbide tooling not for HSS or anything else. Best wheel for HSS is Al Oxide
I have been lucky enough that some diamond files I have seem to bring the edge back enough to get a job done. Most recently.
Used the inexpensive welded carbide to turn down the grooved pulley and break the crust.
This is my next project. Not sure if it will be a face plate or adapter for my 4 jaw0B7DB1D6-B164-48DA-ADB2-B5EA83108CBE.jpeg1173B988-CAA4-42B9-8EDF-39A6DD547F77.jpeg

Back