QCTP Install Problem

TompSlattery

Registered
Registered
Hi all

I’m new machining (like brand new). I recently purchased a lathe and have been slowly making some chips. I purchased a AXA QCTP gave it a clean up and a debur and when I went to install it discovered the tool post that came with lathe was an M10 with a little foot on the end of it and new QCTP was an M14 (see photos). I’ve had the thought of drilling and tapping the compound slide to take the new post. Though I don’t have an M14 tap. But worried that :
a - I’d botch it and wreck the slide and;
b - there’s only about 5.5mm of material to tap and I’m not sure if it’s sufficient.

My other thought is to try and make a new m14 bolt with the foot on the end and drill a 14mm clearance hole in the slide (though I neither have a 14mm drill bit or a chuck that will take a 14mm bit) I also don’t have a mill only a little drill press.

Does anyone have any advice??IMG_4927.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4925.jpeg
    IMG_4925.jpeg
    392.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4926.jpeg
    IMG_4926.jpeg
    628.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4924.jpeg
    IMG_4924.jpeg
    382.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4923.jpeg
    IMG_4923.jpeg
    387.5 KB · Views: 42
Hi again I had a similar problem with my lathe, I wanted to fit a BXA tool post, but my original post bolt was too small for the BXA, so I bought a high tensile bolt to fit the BXA cut the head off and machine the end to fit the lathe.

By the way I originally looked at getting the same lathe as yours, but decided it was too small for what I wanted, so ended up with the one I've got.

As a general rule try not to modify your lathe too much, rather modify the pieces you add to it.

Good luck.

Well, I have an idea, I'm just not sure it is a good one. If you access to a mill, you enlarge the cutout in the cross slide to except a M14 nut, bore the hole out to except the larger bolt and it looks like you will have to turn the nut down, so it doesn't interfere the compound screw. I don't know just an idea.

Downunder Bob probably has a better idea. You will just have to make a M10 nut to go along with the bolt.

Hi all

I’m new machining (like brand new). I recently purchased a lathe and have been slowly making some chips. I purchased a AXA QCTP gave it a clean up and a debur and when I went to install it discovered the tool post that came with lathe was an M10 with a little foot on the end of it and new QCTP was an M14 (see photos). I’ve had the thought of drilling and tapping the compound slide to take the new post. Though I don’t have an M14 tap. But worried that :
a - I’d botch it and wreck the slide and;
b - there’s only about 5.5mm of material to tap and I’m not sure if it’s sufficient.

My other thought is to try and make a new m14 bolt with the foot on the end and drill a 14mm clearance hole in the slide (though I neither have a 14mm drill bit or a chuck that will take a 14mm bit) I also don’t have a mill only a little drill press.

Does anyone have any advice??View attachment 474217
The Aloris tool post has a 9/16" NF STUD. I just installed one on my mini lathe.
Just drill and tap for the stud. Work great.

Dave 20231213_142715.jpg

Thanks everyone. The thought of reducing the new M14 to a M10 at one end had not occurred to me. That sounds like a much safer option than drilling holes in the compound. If I stuff a bolt up it’s no big deal, if I stuff the compound up…..

Thoughts on replicating the little foot that bears onto the recess on the cross slide. Fit an M10nut and grind to fit? Perfect job for a mill but alas

What kind of tools do you have to work with? Welder, belt sander, Mill? You could get a long bolt weld up the head and file it to fit.

Back