qctp ideas/suggestions

I believe the Phase II 250 series tool posts are the BXA size. They would be a bit too tall for use on a 10" lathe. The tool height would be above center on all but the smallest tools. As for building your own it's a nice thought, but in my opinion not cost effective unless you're looking for a project. Used tool posts are generally in the price range of the one in the e Bay listing. New tool holders from Shars are generally in the $15.00 to $20.00 range. IN most cases it would cost more to buy the raw material than it would be to buy the finished products.

I just checked mine: p/n 250-111 which is a wedge style AXA on my 10" Logan. I believe it's the second half of the p/n that defines size.
But, you're correct, BXA is too big for that size lathe.

I just looked at this thread. I have to 10x24s and on one I have the Phase II AXA, The other is a China Special. I have purchased several AXA holders from various places, One problem I have is Shars have two diff AXA holders and they are not interchangeable. but most others I have found fit fine, some are a bit looser, and some do not have as nice of finish but work. Oh I have the wedge type on both. Just my 2 cents.

I just checked mine: p/n 250-111 which is a wedge style AXA on my 10" Logan. I believe it's the second half of the p/n that defines size.
But, you're correct, BXA is too big for that size lathe.

You are correct. I just went to the Phase II website and looked at the tool post. All their current tool posts have the prefix 251. The second series of numbers determines the size and style. For instance a 251-100 is an AXA piston style tool post. A 251-111 is an AXA wedge style tool post. A 251-200 is a BXA piston style, and a 251-222 is a BXA wedge style.

Here's a link to their website with pictures and diagrams of the tool posts currently available:

http://www.phase2plus.com/details.asp?pr=QUICK_CHANGE_TOOL_SETS&id=52

so to get this right I want an axa style and the #''s should b 251-111 now the different posts that fit this tool post should be? numbered how? and is this the same thru all the manufacter s

that looks like the Asian version of the AXA like most places sell, It is the AXA using the 250-1XX series of holders, If you look closely st the pictures you can see the numbers. I also saw they have the Phase II AXA for 196.

I have one of the ones made in china and one of the regular Phase II AXA both are the wedge type and both work for me. I do Like the wedge type.
Just my 2 cents.
ken

I cant comment on your most recent question since I only have experience with one brand.

I just wanted to let you know that if you choose to order stuff from Shars, put it in your electronic 'cart' for a few days and then Shars will send a 5% coupon by e-mail to as a carrot to complete the order.

I have a little 10*24 Montgomery wards/logan that im slowly rebuilding.. right now it has the lantern style tool posts and the right/left and straight tools for it nothing more... I'd like to get a qctp and hoping someone can suggest a cheap set (I'd like to eventually have boring,threading,parting and knurling capabilities as well as just cutting. its just a hobby lathe for the garage I have very little knowledge of it right now all iknow is ive read that I need an axa size post... off shore would prbly be the answer... suggest away on what and where so I can have a look and decide which way to go
See CDCO tools item 68566 I have one and have not regretted it.

so to get this right I want an axa style and the #''s should b 251-111 now the different posts that fit this tool post should be? numbered how? and is this the same thru all the manufacter s

rambin, here's (again) the link to Phase II part numbers:

http://www.phase2plus.com/details.asp?pr=QUICK_CHANGE_TOOL_SETS&id=52

They have two types of AXA tool post: piston and wedge. Either one will work fine, though around here there seems to be a preference
for the wedge style.

The piston tool post is p/n 250-100. The wedge (which is what I have) is 250-111.
The sets, which include tool holders have part numbers 251-100 (piston) or 251-111 (wedge)

Of course, you also need tool holders. The basic tool holder is p/n 250-101. The same part with a v-shaped slot in it (for holding
small boring bars) is 250-102. The cutoff tool is 250-107. To get started you would need a few 250-101's, one 250-102 and
the cutoff tool. The other tools in the sets (large baring bar holder, knurling tool) could be purchased as needed later.

If the budget is tight, you could buy the eBay tool post and a selection of Shars or CDCO tool holders, and you'd be in for not
a lot more than $125.00.

And just be clear, yes you need an AXA tool set. BXA won't work with your machine.

As far as part numbers are concerned, some manufacturers use the same numbers and others do not. For tool holders, as
long as you buy AXA tool holders they should be compatible with an AXA tool post. You should be aware that Logan (and
I assume) Wards lathes have their compound set a bit higher than some other lathes. What this means is that occasionally
you will run into an tool that sits high relative to the spindle bore axis. I have a Dorian cutoff tool that's like that.
Also, on my lathe, if I try to use 1/2" tools in the standard (250-101) tool holder the tip of the tool is higher than the spindle axis so that won't
work. (There are other tool holders that will accommodate that.) But, if you start with the basic tool holders and an AXA tool post and use
tools smaller than 1/2" you'll be fine for getting started.

Last edited:
Back