QCTP holds cutters too high

lcorley

Registered
Registered
Hi, guys. I have a Wards 04-TLC with a Phase I I AXA toolpost mounted on the compound. I bought a set of 1/2" insert holders from Grizzly to use with it. But the cutting points are too high. With the AXA holder at the lowest setting, the points are about 1/16" above the centerline of the spindle. I expect I can exchange the insert holders for the 3/8" size, but I'd like to hear other options. I'm wanting to keep the 1/2" insert holders because I think they will be more rigid. Am I fooling myself, there? Would 3/8" be just as good? Can I mill the bottom of the insert holders or the AXA holders to make them sit lower? Is this a previously solved problem?

Thanks in advance for comments.

Regards,
Leon

They can be milled to lower the bit some. I wonder if you should be using a 0XA QCTP.
Dave

You could use your cutter upside down with lathe running in reverse for a temporary fix.

Tool post is too big for the lathe. Either you can mill down the tool shank or mill down the bottom of the tool holder. I had thos same issue when I had an 8x14 with an AXA. I preferred to mill down the bottom of the tool holders.

...or just use 3/8" tool bits in your 1/2" holders.

Most of my tooling I use on my Logan 10" 820 is 1/4" & 3/8". I do have one 1/2" insert threading holder that has that problem.

I milled about 1/8" off the bottom of an AXA holder just for that one tool, it was one of the first "real" things I did with my shaper.

(The Wards 04-TLC is a 10" right?)

Leon,

I don't think, unless you have to stick the cutter 'way out of the holder for some reason, that you will notice any difference between the 3/8" and 1/2" insert holders. However, you do already have whatever you bought. I think that if you were to switch to 0XA size, the holder won't take a 1/2" square. You can machine some off of the inside bottom of the slot which on the 101's that you have which should solve your problem. However, unless you have several 101 or #1 holders that you don't ever use, I would suggest buying one or more #1XL or #2XL holders from allindustrialtoolsupply on eBay. Or do a search on "AXA oversize tool holder". Two of the ones that come up are Aloris and quite expensive for a hobbyist. The other two are undoubtedly imports but I bought one of each and found them to be good quality. Their price is only $13.50 each. They will actually hold up to 5/8" square tooling but I imagine on your lathe they would be bottomed out before you got a 5/8" on center. But they should solve your problem with the 1/2" ones.

Robert D.

A couple of my home made tool holders for my home made qctp are too tall, but if if position the tool post close to the edge of the compound they can hang below and get the cutter on height. Might work for yo.

Greg

Thanks for all the suggestions. I bought a 3/8 AR tool as a trial and it is a much better height. I've now procrastinated enough that I'm past Grizzly's return period, so I'm stuck with the 1/2" holder set. So I guess I'll either mill them down like Dave suggested or try to sell them to someone with a more adult lathe and buy a 3/8" set.

regards,
Leon

10 years later... no, 1/2" tool holders in 0XA holders still seem to be too tall for 7x mini-lathes. Sending them back for 3/8

Back