qctp holder bit sizes

mwestcott

Registered
Registered
I'm sure this information is here somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it so far. Anyway, I'm considering going to a qctp for my Logan lathe. I have been using 1/4" HSS bits in the lantern post, and I have a bunch of them that came with the lathe. Will they fit in the qctp holders or do I need to go bigger?

I'm sure this information is here somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it so far. Anyway, I'm considering going to a qctp for my Logan lathe. I have been using 1/4" HSS bits in the lantern post, and I have a bunch of them that came with the lathe. Will they fit in the qctp holders or do I need to go bigger?
You can always put smaller tools in larger holders if you have the smaller tools and want to use them. If the tools are not tall enough for the holders' adjustment range, then they can be shimmed up. A lantern tool post has a different tool geometry to work with the Armstrong and Williams style tool holders, and presents the tool to the work at a different mounting angle, so those tools may need to be reground to the correct geometry for the QCTP holders.

You can always put smaller tools in larger holders if you have the smaller tools and want to use them. If the tools are not tall enough for the holders' adjustment range, then they can be shimmed up. A lantern tool post has a different tool geometry to work with the Armstrong and Williams style tool holders, and presents the tool to the work at a different mounting angle, so those tools may need to be reground to the correct geometry for the QCTP holders.

I'd certainly keep those I have ground to fit the lantern holders if needed again. Every time I get rid of something, thinking I won't need it, I need it....

I'd certainly keep those I have ground to fit the lantern holders if needed again. Every time I get rid of something, thinking I won't need it, I need it....
They don't take up much space, and can be reground to any imaginable configuration...

Edit: I would actually like to go the other direction if I can find a decent and complete lantern tool post and a few tool holders to fit my lathe for a cheap price. They can be useful for certain jobs, and are able to get into tighter places than a most QCTP tooling can reach. If you have that stuff and it will fit your lathe, my advice is to not sell it, except perhaps to me...;)

Last edited:
Back