Qctp For The Pm1022v Lathe

dlhoulton

Registered
Registered
Just wondering if anyone having the PM1022V lathe has switch the 4 post tool holder to a QCTP? I was thinking that the AXA #100 type would be just the thing. Called Matt from Precision Matthews and was going to put a package together that would include a QCTP and he informed me that the AXA would not fit and allow for proper tool alignment. He said that the AXA would be too tall.

Different lathes have different designs. A AXA fits on my 8x18 just fine. I had to use a 0XA on my 7x16.

I put an AXA on my Grizzly 4000 lathe but it was expensive. The tool holders bottomed on my compound slide, holding 1/2" tools too high. I had to have the bottoms of the tool holders ground down about 50 thousands. I had 6 or 7 of them, and I had to pay full retail for the grinding, and it cost a fortune.

I bought the AXA right after I got the Griz about 10 years ago, but I was a total nube and had no idea how to adapt it. I thought it would just bolt on. Years later, I figured how to attach it, but it was way too late to send it back when I discovered I couldn't use 1/2" tools on it. $300 worth of grinding to chase the $200 I spent on the AXA set. Shrewd. So, I may have the most expensive QCTP in the world.

I hear what you guy's are saying. I'm just going to have to first get the lathe then take some measurements and go from there. I have a HF 7x14 which I converted to a A2Z QCTP that I got from Little Machine Shop. I know just about all these different type of lathes out there that have been converted to QCTP and all have had challenges and or modifications done to make them work. I'll just contact LMS and get the measurements of each (A2Z, AXA, OXA, etc. ) and find the one that will require the lest modification and go from there.

Last edited:
So Matt didn't offer any info on which QCTP would work with the 10 x 22 lathe? Surely he knows? Mmmmm. . . .

No, but he did say that he was working with his suppler/manufacturer on a solution and that I could call back in a couple of weeks to see what he had come up with. Matt said that this is something he has been asked a lot about buy customers and is working for a fix.

Could be something unique in the way of attachment on the topslide?

When I asked if I could order a QCTP with the lathe (I requested the AXA), Matt said that non of the QCTP he sold would work. He said that with the AXA the tool holder would not go low enough the work. He doesn't sell the OXA so he could not answer if it would fit or not. I wonder if the A2Z QCTP that Little machine shop sells for the 7x? lathes would work (get low enough)? I have one of those mounted on my HF 7x10.

I would bet money the 0XA would work, and maybe even an AXA, but you really need to know how far it is from the top of the compound to spindle centerline to know for sure. I would suggest getting the lathe, measure it, and go from there.

A thought: You 'may' have to fab a center post for the QCTP like I did on my 8x18 to make the AXA work. This could be what Matt is referring to, but I don't want to presume I know what Matt was talking about. Just a WAG on my part. :)

PM-1022V_Apron_-_Bed.JPG

A pic Matt sent me a few months ago. A 1022v with I believe an AXA QCTP. His email somehow got mixed in with my spam and I just discovered it a couple days ago. Hopefully this helps. He explained in his email that he had to have the machines altered a bit to allow the AXA's to fit I think. I scanned through it real fast. When I have a few minutes I'll try and respond to Matt's email since I just discovered it on the weekend while deleting over 500 spam emails. LOL

But I think the pic is pretty nice and clear so you do see the QCTP he can now get installed on the 1022 and 1030 (I ordered a 1030V). I'm betting it will increase his sales of them if people also post more pics and videos of the machines in action. ;) But I will wait patiently since I heard he will be receiving the machines pretty soon.

Curt

Back