QCTP for Altas Clausing 10100

daveghil

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have recently acquired an Altas Clausing 10100 6" lathe...I think its referred to as a Mk2 and is very similar (identical?) to the Altas 3950 or Craftsman 101.21200. I was fortunate to get with it the Aloris MA QCTP set with 2 MA-3 holders and 1MA-5 holder.

2 Questions:
1: do the Aloris MXA tool holders fit the MA tool post?.. Aloris link here: https://www.aloris.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=MXA&category_id=0
2. Anyone have experience using an Aloris (or other brand) AXA tool post in this small machine? Page 29 says it will fit https://www.aloris.com/aloris_cat/31e970.pdf

thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_5230.HEIC
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
Interesting to see that all their tool posts are now double dovetail; back in the 70s I had a 9" SB that I bought an Aloris QC set that was a single dovetail design with some holders that were a 90 degree wraparound the tool post, especially the one for boring bars, it was a real PITA to use due to the design, you could only use the normal type holders, as they only fit on the front face of the tool post.

Don't know about that specific Alexis TP but the OXA size is generally recommended for the 6" lathes.

Again, I also don't know if the tool post you have will work on your machine. I have the Metric version of your MK2 machine, 10200 and I bought this QCTP

the larger base plate didn't fit the compound as is, so I used the other little base plate included in the package for about 10 minutes. I wasn't happy with the small base plate's area of contact with the compound slot, so I then machined down the larger one to fit. It works nicely now and feels rock solid.

Your machine also has plastic gibs that I bought aftermarket steel gibs to replace them. That increased the tool rigidity greatly.

One of the things that makes a QCTP workable for a given lathe has to do with the distance from the top of the compound to the chuck center. When you install the QCTP, the cutter holder has to be able to be adjusted with the cutter to the height of the chuck center with a good area of contact between the tool holder and the tool post... here's mine pictured below

10200 with 4058qctp.jpg

Thanks. The aloris ma set that came from original owner is adjustable to the center point. I’m just learning this new art and played around with shortening the shoe on a faceplate last night and noticed that as I got to the outer radius of the piece (starting at center and facing toward circumference) the face tapered out. Had to come back with super light cuts until I was able to achieve a uniform face. I wonder if the plastic gibs had to do with that? Where did you source metal gibs? Finally I like the TP you posted from LMS. The aloris MA is close to $600..I’m fortunate to aready have one) and only includes 2 types of tool holders…hence my question about compatibility with the MXA tool holders on their website.

I got them on ebay, and it looks like the seller only has 1 gib left. You need 2 for your machine and you should notice that there are 5 relieved pockets for the gib screws. That's because one dovetail has 3 gib screws and the other has 4, so the 5 pockets make a gib that will work in either position as a compound slide or a cross slide gib.

It looks like he has one left, but if you search "atlas lathe part #345-076" you might find others who have them for sale.

I'm a beginner too, so I'm probably not the best person to ask questions of...

Back