QCTP BXA

richz

Active User
Registered
Ok thanks guys I am going to go with ths BXA. Next question any opinions on Dorian ,Aloris or an import. Are Dorian and Aloris that much better than the imports considering the big price difference? What is everyone using?

I'm perfectly happy with the two import units on my machines. I'm not sure if the Dorian or Aloris are actually "made in the USA" -which may be a valid reason to prefer one of those. I'm not aware of any significant functional or design differences.

Ray

Ok thanks guys I am going to go with ths BXA. Next question any opinions on Dorian ,Aloris or an import. Are Dorian and Aloris that much better than the imports considering the big price difference? What is everyone using?

Aloris and Dorian show that there toolposts are indexable. Are the imports?

Not indexable on mine.

BTW, I had a different toolpost that was indexable and it drove me nuts; others of-course, might feel differently.

Ray

Aloris and Dorian show that there toolposts are indexable. Are the imports?

I have an Aloris BXA post on my 10EE and an Aloris AXA on my 11" Southbend. I also have a Chinese BXA wedge post that I sometimes use on the Southbend for heavier cutting, but I do prefer the Aloris posts. All the NA and Chinese BXA tool holders are interchangable between the two. It depends on your use (hobby or professional). Even for my hobby use, I am never gonna embarass my 10EE with anything other than an Aloris. It just wouldn't look right ... even if it works fine :winner:

Just my $0.02 for whatever its worth. Bill

I have a DTM AXA set made in Clifton NJ until somewhat recently. Some guys who used to work for Aloris started the new company. They just retired, and someone on a Ebay bought out his stock and sells it.

I had a Phase II wedge style post which I worked just fine, and I believe would have continued to. I knew someone selling this DTM unit which I had already ogled at his shop. :) The fit and finish, and operation are so smooth and positive. I know if I was making heavy or interrupted cuts, this thing would stay locked. I'll let you know if I'm wrong.

I have also noticed there are features and tolerances that you may not appreciate or know about until you are working with it either. This DTM unit has adjustments on the bottom to change when each wedge engages. Nice design.

If you can go USA-made you will never be sorry, as long as you can afford it. Or be patient and keep your eyes on Ebay, or post the "Wanted" sections of this and other sites. You will likely find a used set, perfectly operational, for almost the same price as an import set.

If you go import, I would suggest a more reputable brand like the Phase II or other. You will be perfectly happy and still get years of service.

Last option is to get the import set and just upgrade the toolpost later when you find one. This is what I did. The holders swap right over. Now I have loads of holders, some DTM and some not, and the post I really wanted. :)

Bernie

Last edited:
I'm perfectly happy with the two import units on my machines. I'm not sure if the Dorian or Aloris are actually "made in the USA" -which may be a valid reason to prefer one of those. I'm not aware of any significant functional or design differences.

Ray

Aloris's website has this statement: "All Aloris Quick Change Tooling is proudly made in the USA." I don't see such a statement on Dorian's website. However Dorian has a lot of products in addition to their line of tool posts and holders so I wouldn't be surprised if some their things are not made in the USA. My Dorian "Quadra" indexing tool post and all of its holders are marked "Made in USA". I bought the Dorian because it was available in the "AXA" size while the smallest Aloris indexing tool post is "BXA" size. As far as I know there are no import versions of either of these indexing quick change tool posts.
David

DTM had the superior design with its double lock mechanism - the tool holder never shifts during lock down.

Not sure if you need that level of precision, but its available.

Back