1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

QCTP Base Question

Discussion in 'QUESTIONS & ANSWERS (Get Help Fast Here!)' started by q20v, Mar 5, 2017.

1. brino

brino Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Almonte
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

....just tell them you recently graduated! ;)
    -brino

Bob Korves likes this.
  2. brino

City:
    Almonte
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

Hi, I just wanted to post back that I have just downloaded, installed and registered Fusion 360 as an "Enthusiast".

To register, just click on the countdown of days left in your trial period and it pops up this window:

upload_2017-3-9_19-0-17.png

Now the learning curve begins.........

-brino

Tozguy likes this.
  3. Bob Korves

Bob Korves H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Sacramento
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I was able to sign up as well for the 30 day trial. I know to go to enthusiast when the trial period is up. Thanks, Brino!

brino likes this.
  4. q20v

q20v H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Ottawa
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

Glad to hear it worked out. It's a great piece of software considering it's free!

5. Cadillac STS

Cadillac STS United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Grand Rapids
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

Autodesk has a great Student/Educator program. Can get a full license for any Autodesk product for 3 years for the asking if you are a student or educator. I use Inventor HSM free being an associate professor at Michigan State. I think High Schools should be all over that and get a license for each and every student. Maybe some kids could become an absolute expert at AutoCAD or REVIT or Inventor HSM or one of the several other professional software packages by the time they graduate instead of just spending thousands of hours with video games. Schools could hold contests and events around software learning goals. FREE use of the software your company has to spend thousands of dollars for so you can sit at the company on company time learning it. They would graduate High School and if expert walk into an $80k job just like that. Some kids would be brilliant and gifted with it.

Fusion is different and free to use. Fusion is web based. That solves a problem with highly complex graphics, it takes a powerful computer to run some of the software due to that. But with Fusion the idea is YOU have an interface (Doesn't need to be a powerful expensive professional style computer.) and THEIR powerful computers crunch through the work of it so you don't need to have a powerful computer and send your work back to you in real time. Solves the hardware issues and allows more people too use it especially at home. And easier to share drawings, etc..

mikey and brino like this.
  6. Cadillac STS

City:
    Grand Rapids
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

Not hijacking the thread but a question about the round base in the picture. I bought a used BXA QCTP for a project and it came with a round base like that. What type of lathe is it from? I made a T nut and took off the round but wondered where the base came from.

7. brino

City:
    Almonte
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

You are definitely NOT hijacking, more like putting it back ON topic! :guilty:
    -brino

Bob Korves and RandyM like this.
  8. Tozguy

Tozguy Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Drummondville
    State:
    Province du Quebec

-Return to Top-

brino likes this.
  9. Catcam

Catcam Australia Iron Registered Member

City:
    Parramatta
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

The square milled profile would be more rigid, but it may not be necessarily warranted. depends on the relative stresses which should be minimal overall.

I also had that issue and to solve the problem of not having a mill at the time. I machines a new bolt for the QCTP to use the existing compound nut. all worked fine it is still there.

10. Cadillac STS

City:
    Grand Rapids
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

It is nice to make your own part. But it should be said that you can buy a pre-made T nut with any thread pattern you want on eBay. Search "Lathe T nut." There are a few people that sell them for common lathes and if you contact them with your specific measurements could likely make what you need. $15.

11. Tozguy

City:
    Drummondville
    State:
    Province du Quebec

-Return to Top-

Barry, just curious about something.
    Is the T nut blank that came with QCTP too wide to fit in the compound?
    Will you have to cut some off of each side of the blank before (or after) turning the boss to the right depth and diameter?
    If yes then how do you plan to do that?
    Mike

12. q20v

City:
    Ottawa
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

Hey Mike,

Yes, I'll have to reduce the width. I was thinking of mounting it in the 4-jaw chuck and facing it (both sides equally). I've never used the 4-jaw so I'm hoping this approach is do-able. I'm all ears if it isn't.

Barry

13. Tozguy

City:
    Drummondville
    State:
    Province du Quebec

-Return to Top-

Its worth a try.
    Interrupted cuts like that can be noisy and hard on tools but if you go slow it should work.
    If you have much to take off then maybe rough it out first with a hacksaw or angle grinder.

14. q20v

City:
    Ottawa
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

That is a big interrupted cut to deal with, good point... I don't believe I have much to remove but may save some time grinding a bit off, first. Come to think of it, the lathe did come with a milling attachment that I intended to use after I made my Collet Closer w/draw bar. When I got the lathe the milling attachment went under the bench and I haven't looked at it since. Think I would have much luck holding an endmill in the 3-jaw for this?

15. Tozguy

City:
    Drummondville
    State:
    Province du Quebec

-Return to Top-

Re the interrupted cut, I have done a few like that and got away with it. Depends on how rigid the set-up is. If you start in the centre where the cut is continuous and move outwards until it starts to interrupt you will gradually see how it goes.

For milling on the lathe I would not use a 3 jaw scroll chuck to hold the milling tool.
    A 4 jaw independant chuck would be a definite maybe but I have never tried it.
    If you have an MT socket in your lathe spindle, a Weldon style holder would be the most expedient and least expensive way to go.
    http://www.busybeetools.com/products/e-m-holder-mt-3-1-2.html
    Then make your own drawbar.

Hopefully your milling attachment will work for this. Before I made my own milling attachment this is how I managed. It requires a lot of shimming and indicating as you can imagine. If you have a 4 way tool post it could be used to hold the blank.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 4:40 PM